Burnout Among Doctors

Please signin to watch the full session

Burnout Among Doctors

2 Jul, 2 PM

burnout is really a relatively new terminology for india however for many countries particularly for the industrial areas or for the management section people have understood that burnout is a very common and if you look at the statistics of the international firm that's a gallop foundation according to their survey 40 to 60 percent of the people they suffer from this problem medical fraternity was very late in accepting that even doctors are also likely to get burned out for many years we believe that doctors are doing a great service to the patient and because of that they are protected they are immune to burnout but the study carried out in usa and other countries they showed that even doctors are also not protected and they are also vulnerable to burnout and today i really like to congratulate netflix for taking these very new innovative subject and bringing that to the doctors of india so with that i would like to ask priyanka the first question to explain burnout in a very simple word but before that she tells us in a medical terminology i would like to give you an analogy and that is a very day-to-day analogy all of us have seen a candle and what candle does it gives us light in the process of giving light to the society to the people what actually happens it converts it back into the light but over a period of time the candle shrinks the same thing happens to the people to the doctors that they start their practice with a great idea that they want to help people they want to help society with time with practice something goes wrong what is wrong where it is wrong that we are going to discuss but something goes wrong in the process and over a period of time they lose interest from the practice they stop interest in learning a new concept new innovative ideas which are coming to the field and that is i understand that is something what i understand as burnout so with that simple analogy i would like to uh request priyanka to tell us in a medical terminology like what do we understand by by now okay good evening sir and good evening to everybody and thank you so much for having me um i think to begin with so very um wisely and rightly describe bernard with the metaphor of a candle burning and if i want to use medical terms um with burnout burnout is emotional exhaustion it's synonym and it's depersonalization these are the three pillars to use to identify but if i would explain it to you to identify burnout and see how it impacts your life think about your first day in medical school there was excitement there was joy the willingness to read and learn and you were so happy to be a part of this setup right you said i am going to do it i'm going to make my notes i'm going to learn i'm going to the best i can you were full of energy excitement willingness to absorb 100 there but now think about your last day of the semester or the last day of the year think about how tired you are how exhausted you are how you do not want to look at your books right now and you just want to sit in front of netflix and watch tv all day long so now at the end of the year you're extremely tired right and then you have summer holidays and you have a break and you get refueled and recharged and you come back but now imagine if you didn't have that summer break and you have to carry on day in and day out with that same exhaustion for a whole year more how would you feel now that's the best way to understand burnout imagine the last day where you're fully depleted of energy and resources and you have nothing to carry forward but imagine carrying forward that last day with nothing besides work to look forward to for at least a year two three or indefinitely more now i'm going to bring this little closer to home right um interestingly enough today happens to be a day where i've done two conversations about bernard one is with y'all and one is with the caregivers of dementia uh support group right burn out and i feel it's a overlap between doctors and caregivers because it's a profession where i have to lend myself to somebody else i have to care for somebody else i am not only taking care of their physical needs but i'm also taking their emotional needs because let's be honest when you go as a doctor on your rounds you see patients suffering you see them crying there's a lot of emotions that you give them when you say don't worry i've got your back don't worry we're doing the best we can right now there's a lot that you're investing in that relationship even if maybe a few minutes but there's a lot of your emotions that go there and you are then entering a caregiver role as well but now if you're doing this every day and you're carrying your emotions with you even post work and you're not really taking a break or not having moments to refuel and recharge with no end in sight you are going to feel tired you're going to feel exhausted you're going to feel depleted and what this then happens is that the view towards life changes you don't view life anymore with the rainbows and butterflies and the goodness that may happen it only becomes what is the point of this is there anything good that can happen the cynicism which i spoke about in the definition that creeps it is it going to be purposeful will things get better there's so much suffering in the world there's so much of pain what happens then these are the kind of thoughts that come in when we join residency it is something like a new mobile the battery of that mobile lasts like two days three days and then you use your mobile for three years and after that you have to carry charger everywhere and you have to go on charging your mobile now and then so is it something like that or it is different it is it is similar to that for sure because what happens is when i'm burnt out i'm running on no too very little resources so imagine your batteries are two percent constantly that two percent your functioning you can do the basic functioning on it so it's not like it the battery is not dead the phone is not dead it's still functioning but it's only on two percent so you're running on depleted resources but there's a fear that that two percent may also collapse at one point so you're running on two percent for a long period of time with the fear that i am going to lose my charge and then what will i do at every lecture i have got one comment then this is just a theoretical topic and we don't see this in practice like look at our friends and none of our colleague is really affected with burnout so is it really true or probably they are like in a denial mode and they are not ready to accept that burnout is real situation so burnout is very real let me begin by saying burnout is extremely real it's as real as the table next to me it is 100 real but some people may not experience burnout because they are taking care of themselves so everyone may not have burnout some may have bona but really depends on how you're taking care of yourself now when i say taking care of yourself yes it's important to go on holidays take a summer break take that break but remember one thing that is not a lifestyle what i do on a one week break or two week break is not a lifestyle if i have to do six months of consecutive days of work which is emotionally and physically draining for me how will i show up recharged and rejuvenated every single day and i'm gonna say it's particularly important for doctors because when you go and meet a patient the patient is coming to see you they want your undivided hundred percent focused attention on their health there's a lot of responsibly your role of a doctor so if i'm running on low resources i'm running a depleted resources you're not only doing yourself a disservice but you're also doing your patient a disservice and i mean i know everybody who's a doctor here today is a doctor because they wanted to enter the caring and helping profession so you know what i'm coming with is that yes everybody may not have burnout but those who do have burnout is largely because taking care of themselves has to be a lifestyle choice rather than something you do only on weekends or only two weeks a year or one like one weekend every six months that's not how it works it has to be something you do regularly every day okay so before we come to the question of what actually causes bird out i just would like to know from your experience like is it like one speciality or one branch of medicine is vulnerable for burnout and others are not is it like that or like you have seen all the doctors all the branches of like doctors of all the branches having problem of burnout um how do i put this if everyone is susceptible to a cold if i take care of myself i won't get a cold so yes all branches of the fraternity are likely to have uh or have people who have burnout but data says those in nephrology urology and neurology europe neurology yeah right okay so like let's come to our direct question like why these branches are more likely to get burned out so when i'm looking at it this is where data says research says it and why these branches are probably more likely to uh to experience burnout is probably because of the intense workload they have the need to deliver the less likely to get a break uh the high demand the high stress constantly being on call these are factors which which likely to influence it however i have to say something that one of the one of the categories where people were least likely to get bernard with surgery i think it's also likely the way the work structure is designed for uh doctors in different fields that influences this those who are on call most of the time who have a high workload in terms of patient expectations a lot of pressure on themselves to perform upskill so every now and then we feel that oh these symptoms can be off for weed so first of all like we should like to understand what are the symptoms of burnout okay so um when i think about burnout the best way to describe it is that you constantly feel fatigued tired uh really low on energy and this doesn't happen for just a day or two days or three days is a persistent feeling over a period of time you've been experiencing these symptoms for more than three four days uh you tend to feel helpless hopeless you question what you're doing and why you're doing this the perspective towards the life seems very dark very gloomy almost that you know i don't see any reason my effort is immaterial nothing will amount to it and you know when sir began this conversation he said it's so nice to see all you participants here because you're investing in something above your neck and the truth is what happens when we burn out we are very tired we invest in our stomach a lot more or we tend to ignore our stomach a lot more um obviously there are changes in our motivation levels because of the tiredness that uh fatigue feeling in addition to the fact that also um you feel disturbed sleep you also not really see the purpose of doing anything and not want to do something okay so uh like i at the end of the day feel like uh when i come home physically i'm tired is it like my nature or and and this is for last uh ten years so it's not like that this is recent in origin so do you consider that this could be a so no this is not burnout and the reason why it's not burn out because you wake up in the morning fresh you wake up in the morning rejuvenated and you wake up in the morning rest it at the end of the day you're probably tired because you have a demanding role your job is demanding and you're interacting with so many people so yes your your resources are depleted at the end of the day which is normal and natural um but you're still viewing life as purposeful even at the end of the day maybe you don't want to engage with too many people but you're still engaging with some people in burnout i can start my day and end my day feeling as tired if not more tired i am really like all of us are really interested to know about the cause because unless and until we know the cause what is actually causing burnout we are not able to understand the pathology and we are not able to understand the preventive strategy so what actually causes burnout what causes burnout is the way we are living our life in a nutshell if i were to say that it is the kind of pressure you're putting on yourself to perform the expectations the society may have of you all the expectations you have of yourself this need to constantly be productive they need to constantly deliver and just grinding yourself with work non-stop and only viewing life from this one-dimensional perspective of i have to deliver and i have to work and that is what causes burnout in an in a nutshell the cause of burnout is the way we live our lives but we're not taking care of ourselves and the reason why i'm saying this is because the years are one thing i have to work work has to be a part of my life but how i work directly impacts the quality of work and the quality of life i lead if i'm not working in a balanced way and i'm not taking time for myself or i'm not taking time to nurture myself more importantly i will burn out so the cause of prevention is is probably the same it is the same answer and the cause is the way we are living our life with high expectations a need to constantly deliver and constantly being productive at all times but productive not a point of view where um i can just be productive in terms of painting because i enjoy it no being productive from a point of view where i'm pressurizing myself to deliver high quality work at every single moment and if you look at the like city like mumbai or delhi in that case probably it is more than that so these many long hours of working is responsible for burnout that's a very tricky question and i'm going to tell you why i think it's tricky because i love working i think working and i love what i do you will find me at work at eight o'clock in the morning and i'm still at work and i'll have an hour more of work okay for example but the thing is that i'm also taking so you can work as long as you feel the need to work but are you also taking care of yourself while you work that's an important question see understand people have needs that we are in a role to to cater to when in order to uh you know take care of them but despite the fact that i may work some days 9 hours and 12 hours in those days on those days am i taking time to take care of myself are my needs being taken care of so my knee would probably be that i want to go for a 20 minute walk am i still taking time out for that need of mine to disengage from everything else and just focus on myself am i still engaging with my friends every week or if like every day what am i doing in addition to work directly impacts the kind of burnout i'm experiencing so if i'm only working and i'll go back home and i open my books and i study some more and then i just watch some more like videos on this i'm only becoming one dimensional and that will lead to burnout because i'm not looking at anything else one of the ways to cope with burnout is constantly giving yourself a fresh perspective towards things that is constantly disengaging and then re-engaging it's like you you have a car right and it runs on fuel now i have taken the car all of the city and the fuel is the fuel in the car tank is over i have to refuel it and it's important to refuel it with the fuel that suits you most so for me what you what really suits me is listening to music and walking i love it that's what scuse me the most so that keeps me disengaged and gives me the energy to go back towards it also talking to people from different schools of thoughts different perspectives is what engages me and that really helps me cope with the stresses and demands of my job uh so i don't necessarily believe it's the number of hours that you give to work right uh so before we go for like uh preventive measures i just would like to check is it the group practice or a solo practice is there any difference in the burnout rate so i'm of the opinion that any activity where i'm doing a loan for myself in terms of a job can be very isolating and if it's isolating it's going to lead to loneliness and that's going to lead to a lot of other symptoms which may look like depression or may look like anxiety and definitely lead to burnout so even if my practice for example is an individual practice am i making the effort to connect with professionals from the same school of thought to engage in conversations about it or others that really help you cope with the stresses our work so even if i practice as individual you need to carry that extra load to connect with people in the same profession because that in turn lightens your emotional load with your work okay uh before we uh proceed uh there is a question from audience mahadeva has asked i love working i feel exhausted and annoyed when i am not working so like is it the like surety that you are not burnt out or it's not it's it's great that you love working and i think you should keep investing in your work but remember one thing work is a part of your life it is not your entire life what else are you doing for yourself in your life um you can't just grow one part of your life because if you might be in your 20s now but imagine if in your 40s what will you have to show beyond work for yourself and i think i'm going to bring a bit of research and dementia over here it's stated that people who have hobbies throughout their life for them if they are diagnosed with dementia they cope better with it because it still gives them something to focus and engage on um so where i'm coming with great love your work keep working don't stop working but what else are you doing in addition to work that directs your quality of your life okay and then uh like the recent past like we all pass through a very bad phase of koveed and do you think that what is the effect of this pandemic on burnout like my colleagues in usa they say that yes kovi does a very negative effect on burnout do you see that such effect in india i definitely i think um something i'm seeing with a lot of my clients and also with doctors is a lot of existential questions are coming in what is the purpose of my existence what is the meaning of my existence why am i doing what i'm doing if eventually things are going to result in this uh it has had a very significant impact with burnout as well as post-traumatic stress disorder especially those were frontline workers in the first wave uh because of not knowing what to do how to manage it what was going to happen moving forward uh there's a lot of data that suggests that it has affected the mental health of um healthcare workers across our country um i and besides i think the fragility of life came into question more so than ever before i think as doctors the death is something we confront every day but the way it hit us last year and not knowing what we can do to prevent it or to manage it so let's now move on to the most important part is how we can prevent it because what you said is about the causes but how to actually prevent it so let me tell you like the remaining time of this webinar we are going to spend for prevention and treatment so before we come to the treatment i will ask you about how to confirm the diagnosis so like these are the three areas which now we are going to discuss in remaining time okay to prevent it i think um you have to first be very aware of what your experience is every day so don't mindlessly live your life mindfully live your life and this may sound a little cliche and and i apologize for that but it's the truth that if i'm going to go about my life and my routine and my work just just filling out reports filling out forms having basic conversations with people um and not being aware of what my experience is with my day you're mindlessly living your life and you will miss a lot of the signs and symptoms that uh you that may suggest deteriorating mental health or emotional health right now so you begin by being aware of yourself now to be aware of yourself what can you do it is notice the way your body physically reacts to things so if you notice a constant back ache or a headache or stomach upset figure out when does this happen and why does it happen very often this is a great insight to understand how your emotional health is doing if i constantly have a back again it's not because of my portion posture really ask yourself what burden or load am i carrying if you constantly feel um confused or lack of clarity of thought really introspect and say what is overwhelming at this moment if you notice you're grinding your teeth very often or you're clenching your fists very often there is some amount of anger you're carrying some amount of stress you're carrying so notice the physical signs in your body best indicator to notice your emotional state second which is my favorite journal um take a few minutes out every day and i know it's a difficult activity to do but if you start with like say five minutes and then build yourself up to 50 minutes of journaling every day really helps you understand what your thoughts are and how it's impacting your daily existence so when i'm looking at preventive i will first begin by becoming aware of it and the other science in terms of becoming apart from the general everyday awareness is notice your eat sleep and exercise um i this is for i say it every time i speak to anybody about good mental health but these are your three pillars of mental health care if you notice any changes in any one of them it's an indicator again of deteriorating mental health so if you're sleeping too much or too little eating too much or too little or not feeling like exercising or over exercising yes your mental health is getting affected and it's time for you to take a step back like doing too much of exercise that's something really uh not not understandable because how it comes under the area of lack of mental health so i'll tell you one thing what i've noticed in people who are angry for example who are very stressed right they may either completely avoid exercising or they will punch the punching bag in the gym harder or they'll push themselves harder on the treadmill or they lift more weights be aware of these things it's just an indicator that something's not right somewhere especially if it's not part of your plan now the reason why i'm saying this is because everybody wants to punch the bag harder and the gym you want to run faster on treadmill and lift more weights but there is a way your body also gradually grows to that kind of level that resilience is built over time but if i'm suddenly going from not running at all on the treadmill to now running for 15 minutes on the treadmill that's a bit of advice and how did you suddenly pull up all that energy it's probably coming from penta frustration and anger and stress while it may be a good way to release it it's important to also address the core factor in it address the fact that you're feeling stressed address what's triggering the anger rather just allowing it to be there and take it out in the gym okay how i'm gonna read this question uh which is asked how do you convince someone that he she is experiencing bernard acceptance is the first hurdle usually um i completely agree with you that agree with you on that acceptance is the hardest part for anybody with due to daily mental health because all of us think we're superheroes we can all manage everything i've got this the truth is that um when somebody's experiencing any sort of deteriorating mental health including burnout my first thing to do is just empower them with input i don't tell them this is what you're experiencing this is what is happening to you i don't i just say hey i read this article why don't you read it and i will share a couple of articles with that with them on that and then later on have a conversation about the signs and symptoms and if they relate to any one of them or i will say you know even nowadays i thought of feeling this way do you feel this way to kind of begin the conversation about it what happened recently uh before few minutes was something like uh some unwanted event this was not planned so lot of time we face such uh unexpected event like a complication some patients become serious which you were not expecting so does such event really creates a like rapid onset of burnout or not so what i'm looking at an event which could be a stressful event i'm going to give you two examples either one a person has a relative or close loved one has met with a very severe accident and now that has resulted in a significant change in the family setup or two somebody you love has been diagnosed with dementia and dementia as we know is not a curable illness it's something you have to live with for the rest of your life so it's obviously impacting the way the entire family dynamic is now in situations like this where i'm thrown into a deep end in that moment or in the short term i am firefighting i'm just trying to figure out systems and structures to manage and maintain the process but firefighting can happen one month two months three months and i'm gonna say pushing it unfortunately may be maximum five to six months maximum because sometimes when i i understand things really will take a long time to kind of get streamlined but even after you are streamlined and you are still experiencing the fatigue that helplessness and exhaustion then that's burnout and then that could look like caregivers burn out and one of the i'm gonna bring in another thing over here with caregivers one of the key factors also is guilt because how can i not show up for that person i love how can i not show up for my patients what will happen if i'm not going on on rounds today because i'm not feeling well then that guilt sets in and guilt is a terrible motivator to get you to show up in places when you don't have the energy to um it's something which i don't think is widely discussed with burnout especially but i'm bringing it into the factor because we're talking about in a way doctors and caregivers and how burnout impacts their life and i think guilt is a key component in it uh but if a stressful event has happened and i'm firefighting i understand after a short period of time but things need to get streamlined and even after being streamlined i'm still experiencing exhaustion then that's burn out and a key controversy to be guilt guilt of not doing enough for the other person but then also feeling tired and fatigued and not having energy to do it this condition requires a proper diagnosis because without that you can't go for the purity options or preventive options like that is every for everyone but for charity options we need to have a proper diagnosis so how do we diagnose burnout you look at the signs and symptoms which is again um continuous feeling of exhaustion continuous feeling of being tired feeling purposeless feeling of demotivated um even though my my minerals and myself even though my vitamins and all are in place i'm still feeling uh lethargic i'm still feeling fatigued i have uh i'm struggling to stay focused i'm making a lot of careless errors i'm repeating mistakes i'm attending classes but i'm not retaining any information shared with me and this is happening the diagnosis is made by the blood sugar so there is a difference between the symptoms and the test for the diagnosis so similarly burnout what you describe are the symptoms but what do you do for the diagnosis so there are assessment tools we can use for diagnosis but they're largely pen and paper assessments so there's not really a blood test we can do to diagnose if somebody has worn out or not it's most so we understand their emotional experience at that point of time and then work within that act reception test like projective techniques to understand their emotional experience that helps them with it okay um yeah uh like say i'm not right uh uh like remember the word exit but there is probably a muslim test which is used for the diagnosis of burnout so do you use that in your practice or it's a self-esteem assessment test so right now to be honest with you um i usually work with people and their symptoms and use coping skills with it if i have to look at some something more significant and more severe i would use the mcmi and look at their symptoms of depression and their personality to understand what their emotional experiences at point of time i would also couple down for the thematic app reception test i think it's a very useful assessment especially projective techniques because it gives you insight into their subconscious behaviors their needs the desires their stressors uh and putting everything collectively then i would okay so yes now we come to the most important part and what are the treatment options available okay so the preventive options are the same for the like treatment options or are different so it depends on what level of burnout you reach right so tomorrow if i'm extremely burned out i have no energy and i'm going to start prevent using preventive measures to um to do the treatment it probably won't work at that point of time i would need to completely disengage a significant period of time and then and then rejoin what i'm doing so every time the preventive measure may not work as a treatment measure you need to be aware of that preventive is there to ensure the severity of the symptoms don't appear so symptoms don't even show up but now the symptoms have showed up i then need to disengage from my from my present functioning my present situation regroup reground myself and how do i regroup playground it could then be eating right eating healthy good sleep talking about my expectations from myself my pressures learning to manage them better finding a more effective schedule that's reflective of my needs uh in terms of professionally and personally and then gradually ease back into work uh that is how the treatment plan would look like uh where i would invest more time is also understanding how did i let it get to this level right okay uh like in usa there is a new trend which is coming up is a compensate care means like you try to understand the emotion that is again like say empathy related training so you try to understand the emotions of patients you try to put yourselves into their shoes and then you try to help them out so this is one approach which is currently recommended strongly in usa that this is probably a good vaccine against burnout on the other end i remember that during my training days my professor used to say that don't get involved with patients too much if you get involved with them too much then probably you will understand or you will imbibe their sorrow their pain into yourself and then probably you get exhausted very fast so now there is completely two different approach one says that don't involve with patient the other says that you try to get involved with patient so what do you suggest so i'm a psychologist i'm biased over here i'm very clearly biased a big job a big part of my job when i'm with a client uh is and as as carl rogers said when we're in therapy with a client we lend our clients our ego so i'm clearly of the school of thought that i empathize with my clients because but i'm also going to say empathize with my clients but i also know how to disengage from a conversation with my clients once i'm done speaking with them so yes i do believe you need to empathize with your clients because that makes them feel understood so the rapport was built and they're more willing to share with you their experience in terms of physical symptoms what's triggering them why they why they had unhealthy behavior patterns that led to this and as a result of which once they leave the treatment once they're on their treatment part they're more likely to comply with what you have said i know compliance is a very big problem with patients and probably it's because trust comes in rapport comes in knowing whether my doctor has truly understood me or not and these are very big factors so i'm clearly of the opinion yes you should empathize with your patients your clients but you also need to learn how to disengage after each conversation with a patient that is extremely important because if i am not disengaging you have to like cut the conversation means you have to cut that call so that is very well from the theory point of view but how to do it in practice so i'm gonna one begin by saying um practice makes you more capable of doing it i'm honestly gonna say that uh two is i recommend uh that everybody actually speaks to someone about their emotional experience every day um everybody has emotions everybody is experiencing it differently everybody's dealing with different kinds of trauma uh every day and it's gonna impact your life in in different ways you should speak to somebody because it really helps you cope with it better and disengage from situations better three is you need to engage in an activity which which requires you to mentally disconnect from what you did the whole day and actively engage in something so i know a couple of doctors at holy family hospital who make it a point to go sailing very regularly because they find that therapeutic for them they find it comforting this is an activity they've chosen to help them unwind and de-stress with it choose an activity you can do every day which requires mindfully engaging in uh and i'm not thinking talking just like like cooking or which some basic recipe you do every day no nothing and i talk about mindfully doing it so even a game like sudoku something i love to do okay and then uh very another important question which is time and again people ask and people see meditation as a penicia they consider that all mental problems are taken care by meditation so what is your views on meditation and burnout okay so i do like my rotation but i am going to tell you it's not meant for everybody at different stages of life and at different ages that's when you need to begin the process with it i also want people to understand that if i meditate today i don't become like a yogini tomorrow it is a journey of discipline that meditation actually teaches you more than anything else what i mean i can go on about meditation and i'm going to try to hold myself back with it but meditation is good but when you're meditating and how you're meditating is more important so if somebody has eye high anxiety and tends to spiral if they are left alone with their thoughts they are going to spiral so it's not going to be a very calming process for them to meditate perhaps then they should try doing meditation in a group with which is guided right so how i'm meditating what i'm doing for example the practice of a passion now to the meditative technique uh that could be extremely difficult for somebody who has depression because uh you're left alone with your thoughts you're not talking to anybody for so many days it's going to make you feel more isolated than before so what you're choosing to do and when you're choosing to do which meditative practice that's very important for you to identify first i'm also going to say meditation essentially means oneness with yourself identify what practice suits you your intent for yourself and helps you become more aware of your emotional experience every day there is another school of thought that if you find a meaning of your life why you are on this planet earth does it give you the protection against burnout okay um a bit difficult question no but the reason why i'm going to say it's actually a very layered question because we're entering the school of existentialism right now um so i'm gonna try to keep it as as simple as i can while we when we address this the meaning of my life should have meaning in what i'm doing in the now and if you have meaning in what you're doing in the now you are very likely not to burn out because when i'm choosing to take care of my patients i know it has meaning for me in the now as opposed to saying i'm going to take care of my patients and then eventually i will think of myself as a very good healer and a caregiver and a healthcare worker no the minute you stop enjoying what you're doing or you're struggling to find meaning and what you're doing that's an indicator then that you're heading towards burnout so yeah okay and then uh another question that a lot of people say that from their practical not from practical but they're they're thinking that taking a vacations at every two or three weeks or every month is a prevention for burnout is it so i'm going to sit here and say well if you can take a holiday every three weeks you experience cleanly extremely well resourced with money because vacations every three weeks i know is very expensive uh but on a very serious note that it i mean if your life style says you you if your job says vacation every two three weeks great superb but i don't think that's very practical if i'm engaging in something for three weeks and i feel the need to run away in the fourth week that's not healthy you can take a holiday every four weeks if you're if it's great and if your finances allow it and you want to do it superb but why are you taking a holiday every four weeks is your reality so difficult to cope with that if you take a holiday every four weeks or three weeks and if it is difficult to cope with you need to then sit down and confront your reality and ask yourself what is so difficult in my reality and address it okay and then there is another practical question that doctors who are having a very good practice a last thing before we take the audience question uh can you quickly summarize what are the tips you would like to give it to our audience about prevention of burnout because we don't know that how many of them are affected with that we don't know but prevention is going to work for everyone so a quick uh recapitulation of like what we discuss my favorite and i begin everything with each sleep exercise these are your three pillars invest in these three things heavily i did enjoy the question about meaning and that essential question but if i'm finding meaning in what i'm doing right now i'm more likely to be actively engaged in my day and therefore less likely to burn out the fifth and most important thing is that you need to ensure that you are enjoying your activities and not working from an end goal point of view but viewing your life as a process and a journey so it's a marathon what am i doing to build a resilience for the marathon rather than looking at just completing tasks and coming out as a winner so be aware of these five things and notice the physical signs and symptoms sometimes they struggle to be emotionally aware at all times then that's when you rely on your body because the body never lies it's a great indicator of and lastly in identify your needs and ensure you take care of your names everybody's needs are different so you need to spend some time introspecting and identifying what yours are okay thank you uh like before we end the session there are few very good questions and one of them is like i am confused with depression and burnout the symptoms overlap helplessness hopelessness and worthlessness which is likely it's there and depression is also there not a lot of symptoms and anxiety also overlaps with burnout so symptoms may overlap uh but i'm going to say the key factor over here is that even after it's the purpose now if i'm questioning the purpose and to what extent and question of purpose i mean even tiredness and fatigue is in depression as well it's in burnout i think what happens for you to clearly identify the two means you have to add more context to your emotional experience to know am i experiencing depression or am i experiencing burnout it's the context surrounding it then there is another practical questions i really appreciate that question that if you feel that your colleague is suffering from burnout how to convince them to take help you know um i answered something similar to this before it's it's very simple you empower them with information you will not go to your colleague and tell your colleague i think you have brought out because like i said your colleague will turn around tell you you have burned out i don't have burnout so empower them with information and try to have healthy conversations about it and let your colleagues identify themselves the resources for them to take care of themselves but remember one thing don't push it down their throats because if you don't see this is very similar to the question that why we really need to treat diabetes because if you don't explain that to your patient they will not follow your suggestions they will not follow your treatment so the first important thing is like why we really need to treat burnout you know when i look at why the tree burnout i think about days when i'm extremely tired and how terrible i feel about myself and how i don't like it and imagine if you're going to feel that way about yourself every day over a long period of time is that something you want to live with now imagine the day when you're high on energy you're productive and you're doing good work which day would you prefer naturally the second one when you're high in energy now imagine living your life like the second option high in energy versus living your life like the first option i mean it's very obvious that you treat burnout because your quality of life your productivity your quality of relationships is significantly better and besides you will be able to achieve much more with your own life you will be able to find that meaning to your existence and actively pursue it every day um i think that's the best sales pitch i can give on why you need to address burnout okay yes and just i would like to add it has been studied very well and documented very well that the doctors who are burned out they are not able to satisfy their patients well so their patients are more dissatisfied with them so this is something like it's not drinking is bad for you but drinking is bad for others also so similarly being burned out

Description

We want the best outcomes for our patients; we want to stay updated and keep growing; we want to serve as many patients; we want to be a great parent and spouse; and we all face immense pressures at work - all of this comes at a cost. It is called Burnout. This session will help you look out for signs of Burnout and address them before it's too late.

Speakers

About Medflix

Medflix is a new platform by PlexusMD, India's most active and trusted doctor community. On Medflix, you can discover live surgeries, discussions, conferences and courses from some of the top doctors and institutions across the world. Join clubs in your areas of interest and access hundreds of amazing live discussions everyday.

Contact us

support@medflix.app

+91 9023-729662

Medflix Logo

© 2022 Plexus Professionals Network Pvt Ltd

InstagramFacebookTwitter