00 : 00 / 05: 00 (Preview)

This discussion has ended. Watch the recording on Medflix app,

Decision Making: Jobs vs Private Practice

May 13 | 1:30 PM

When it comes to choosing between working at a private practice or finding employment through a hospital, the choice can be a difficult one for healthcare providers of all specialties. Private practices, are structured in a corporate manner, meaning that one or more physicians own the practice and employ other staff members. But what are the perks and drawbacks of working at a private practice? Hospitals differ from private practices in numerous ways, not least of all considering their average size. The increased patient flow and varying departments results in a completely different work environment—complete with its own set of pros and cons. Let's gain some insights into which is the best fit? Join us live with Dr. Munjal Pandya

[Music] good evening everyone good evening everyone this is dr vishali i welcome you on behalf of netflix for this session on decision making jobs versus private practice so today we have with us dr munjal pandey he is the assistant professor amc met medical colleague he was also the ex-secretary of vanderburgh the obstetric and gynecological society he has done his fi cog and then diploma in minimal invasive surgery he has received the shirish dre young talent award from aogs as well as he is also the winner for the doctor kamenira west zone yoga foxy oration award he has co-edited a book on male inter in fertility in january 19. he has published many papers and chapters and apart from this academic excellency he also has his obvious like painting guitar singing writing photography so we have a multifaceted personality with us to talk about a much needed topic that's jobs versus private practice but that's what i'll be handing over to you thank you so much man for the kind words of introduction thank you team netflix um basically this one is not uh more of academic discussion it is just like presenting with uh you we call it cafeteria approach presenting with the various options and um as for the knowledge skill and the desire we cannot use the word hunger but yeah the financial and the professional desire and passion we need to take the decision so let us go ahead with a few of the slides and i would like to have uh you know an interactive one so to begin with uh i'm an assistant professor for last 11 years in a medical college the only thing that has kept me rooted there is academics and i and my wife both love to transmit the academics to the newer generation in a simplified manner that we have you know learned for the period of time with hard work so uh a little disclaimer that the views presented in the forthcoming slides are majorly inclined towards justifying the job i am assigned to i'll try to be neutral but i would cover almost all the pros and cons of job as well as private practice any similarity to actual experiences recent or past will be purely fictional and the no humor is intended to hurt any feeling or sentiment living or dead so we know the jobs are of majorly two types the first one is academic institutes and the second one is corporate hospitals with regards to job i have gone majority of the times the you know the coins or slides of academic institutes there are a few advantages to begin with in job in academic institute we get the pay commissions right now we are having seventh pay commission so uh again just for a humor if you keep on sitting on sofa you are getting paid so you don't need to worry about it but that's again not so ethical thing so a little uh more whether you're capable or not again you are getting paid at the end of the month and that's again not something that is justified but yeah that is uh uh an unsafe advantage with regards to that particular job we have the vacations we have two vacations majorly the summer one and the diwali with 15 casual leaves and some special leaves so obviously we have the time to spend with family with regards to job and we don't need to worry about hospital at that point of time because the duty has been taken care of by the people on duty then after nine to five job when there is no emergency there are various activities and hobbies we can cater to for ourselves as well as you know keeping the family together and all the family members can contribute towards painting or outdoor sports or even dancing gardening chess and piano and that at 8 p.m on non-emergency day you are not disturbed with your hospital work so that's the biggest advantage and you can divert your energy towards something that is not medical or professional you call it passion and nowadays with increasing stress of professional you know jobs or professional commitments we need to have this diversions we need to have good friends we need to have good passions we need to be creative and at the same time point of time this passions would lead us to reduction in that particular stress level and will be able to make us more creative and productive for our profession with regards to private practice and its challenges it's a teamwork you constantly are on the edge of your seat to recruit the staff to have the teamwork properly implemented right from the counseling of the patient to consulting to following the advices and when it comes to indoor admission you need to have it a smooth process for the patient and relatives so you need to have good team you need to identify with the people who are willing to work in team so it is a big task you are just not a doctor you are actually an entrepreneur you are an owner of the hospital you are doing everything and anything with related to smooth functioning of the hospital and it's a big responsibility i won't be saying hit it because again it depends on the capability if you are capable you will be able to do that if you are not if you are constantly looking at your own capabilities then it is surely a headache if you are training a staff that particular staff is paid like 5000 per month and suddenly somebody else sitting near your hospital would pay him or her 8 000 and the stuff would leave without any notice so again you need to be having this particular headache huh your hospital is 24 7 open with regards to obstruction and gynecologist orthopaedic surgery we need to keep hospital 24 7 open and we need to be available and if we are not available we need to keep our colleagues available for the treatment operation or else it would be like uh and suddenly you are now not available in your hospital so you need to take responsibility or else your patient load will be reduced so it's a one more responsibility into bracket headaches being an obstetrician you get labor calls the patient comes in at 10 pm you straight away cannot take any patient processor in section when specifically so when the patient is you know having all the chances of general delivery at 2 am you are deliberating the patient everybody is happy you yourself your staff the family patient everybody is happy about all the efforts put in and at 6 00 am you have planned a major surgery now think about the sleep deprivation you are having the four hours of sleep followed by whole long day of work we constantly keep on telling about having six straight hours of sleep and then you yourself are not getting it because of the workload you are happy because you have workload you are happy because many of your colleagues are not having that particular patient load but at the same time you are compromising with your health mental as well as physical and obviously majority of us are like dedicated people we cannot just straight away also work to somebody else and that is why we do suffer our health suffers we need to be aware about it and then we have google patients data straight away you know we have abdominal pain and uh these are a few things we are having in our mind and now you need to treat our symptoms so basically they all are doctors because uh thanks to google they they can search out their ailments they can search out even the medications they can search out even the complications of those medications and disease and then they will discuss so many unnecessary things and and they pay for that particular single ailment they are actually having so so you think about the counseling you need to keep calm you cannot shout on them you cannot argue with them you cannot actually challenge their fake and half uh you know intellectual uh gymnastics you need to appreciate them you need to stay calm and after half an hour of consultation they are just having simple ailment and tweeted with your prescription but then this is what we need to have uh you know tolerated because we are concerned about the practice and the patient load when it comes to private practice everybody is in rat race if you talk about consulting charges you talk about packages you talk about the camps you talk about the free camps free checkups you talk about anything and everything related to private practice everybody is in red race except those who have been established 15 years back so you have invested around two crores of rupees in your hospital you have invested a lot more again for your marketing for your team for your you know the hospital staff and now you are concerned about recovering those costs and then there is a tug of war between the between the doctors and the patients are definitely getting benefited obviously in form of better outcome but then the patients are not actually looking at it patients are looking at the window shopping you know when when it comes to hysterectomy uh a person a or dr a is charging 25 000 dr b is charging 20 000 the patient will go to 20 000 doctor so basically it's all about the competition and we need to maintain the level of healthy competition rather than you know uh going into the depth of uh you know corrupt system that we are made part of we need to be aware of it that we do not drag our levels down to the you know to get the patients we can have quality patients with quality level of marketing and quality care so please do not uh stoop just because you can get two or three more patients when it comes to insurance obstetric patients are not uh getting insurance because there are number of complications that may happen and things can go wrong at any point of time so insurance people are not concerned with regards to pregnancy and then again it's a headache with regards to the payment of bills they would uh ask for five star and service tax facilities but when it comes to bill they would start quarreling with you demanding questions you have an indoor patient and suddenly she or he will ring you up that doctor i'm not getting good repair and this stuff is not behaving properly the food is not actually warm enough i need uh proper food and this seems to be cooked a few hours back i need a fresh food i am concerned with my own health and my baby's health as well and this kind of headaches are common and you need to cater to them because ultimately we are now under consumer protection act and this people are consumers so obviously we need to keep in mind that these are the headaches uh necessary ones are very few but unnecessary ones are pretty much more in number so we have seen in many of the movies that uh patients would choose some something like this because they need all the facilities and they need to show it off to the relatives that you know i am admitted in this particular exposed hospital with this many facilities and relatives will be more kind of tourist uh you know rather than being concerned about the disease or elements or surgery of the patient so uh the patient's demand is this that they need to have facility they need to show it off to the relatives but when it comes to bill on fourth or fifth day suddenly there will be emergence of the you know contacts having uh you know care of status like somebody would be calling you up that uh see that this patient was treated very well we appreciate that and now we need reduction in the bill because she or he is known to me and then there will be another call to the patient or relatives that i have talked with the doctor and they will reduce x amount of uh you know rupees from your bill and do not worry about it and we are always there so yeah this can be anybody this can be like uh our common contact this can be like a politician or anybody who is you know uh trying to become hero in eyes of our patient relatives so after getting all the comfort zone and executive status they are suddenly now you know trying to get the bill for the ordinary treatment so we are responsible for this we all are responsible for this because we have made such a competition that you know we cannot tolerate to lose patient and we can tolerate to you know lose respect in our own colleague's eyes so please stop doing that uh so we know that we need to keep record of all the expiry date of uh you know expiry dates of drugs list of all the medications available and all the you know temperature maintaining you know this many drugs need to be maintained in refrigerator this many drugs need to be maintained at room temperature we need to constantly keep our paperwork right and when it comes to filling up online forms like nowadays we have birth dates registry forms online number of times it happens so that you fill it up in english and the translation in gujarat is something that is wrong and you go to the other window you type it in gujarati you try to you know correct the spellings because the you are concerned with uh you know not making couple run here and they're in health and i'm in birth and place registry center for corrections and that takes at least 15 20 minutes so you are dedicating 15 20 minutes of your time to fill up the form correctly which is actually something the patient or the couple is unaware of so this is one more headache and you cannot rely on such things on your clots because such mistakes will be you know a headache for the couple as well so uh nowadays we know that there are like uh issues going on like eu permissions and compc and uh we are fighting it for it we all are fighting for it unitedly but we know that we are still a little weak straight out of the society where our demands are not heard and constant uh resistance is coming into the form of all the permissions and licenses which are now made frequent with the extra and additional charges so please note that you are going to face this many things with regards to private practice we we need to keep everything in mind like electricity failure to water leakage to you know dropping off siri because you have made it you know look like pretty much decorative and these are the things uh which might actually need urgent attention and while you're having your dinner after finishing your opinion surgery and everything else suddenly you get a call of water leakage what would you do you need to run to the hospital uh to at least do something or a patchwork on an emergent or urgent basis so and then in the last it would be like you need to satisfy a lot of people you need to justify what you're doing why you are doing with regards to corporates yeah you are answerable to a lot of people which might be medical or non-medical so uh so so so these are the disadvantages of private sector you are getting paid a lot but uh a lot of things are getting extracted out of you along with your mental peace and head health so just a little fictional story a person has passed uh his or her you know postgraduate degree uh she is very much cool you know in managing all the patients and all the paperwork and hospital and stuff and she is you know she has this dream of establishing the hospital she has this enthusiasm that i have established the hospital and it is running so smooth with a lot of patient load i am able to manage everything right from paperwork to computer data to everything and i'm loving it after a few months it will be like yes i'm cracking it and nobody else can do that so it is like invisible subconscious competition and she is winning the ball he is winning the ball and then it comes to a stage after a few years that you know it's routine it's now getting monotonous and i'm doing the same work all day long i'm doing the same work right from nine or uh 10 am to uh maybe 8 pm uh and doing the same that the fatigue has now started getting in and then after a few years it's like you know all tempo that that you know you are managing the hospital on your own and your staff is getting changed your stuff is getting snatched away by the other hospitals with better pay scales and then you are getting it out of your head and uh suddenly things seem to be out of control and that's the bubble burst so so everything has an end everything has an end your desire your enthusiasm your your patient load your the demands of the patient loan demands from the staff everything has an end and the bubble burst and then suddenly one finally you would realize that you know everything has gone in vain the only thing you have gained is huge financial you know status rest of the things you have lost a lot in the meantime obviously it is a story it's not true for everyone but yeah so no worries with experience comes maturity suddenly you start meditation yoga and everything you know you start cooling down you shut off your saturday opd you you have weekend off you do not plan anything on weekend you just work for monday to friday uh for limited or for one time opd and uh just a surgery or two in a day you plan your deliveries you plan your cesarean sections you just start managing things on your own and suddenly then you start realizing that this is a time of enjoyment you need to enjoy life at the same time you cannot just run up you know after money and society and prestige and fame and marketing and everything it doesn't make any sense without enjoying your life with your family up to 18 years of life your children might be there for you till the time they will be running for your time your attention you and at that time you would not be running away from them because after 18 years you will surely be running after them and they will be having the same responses that you gave them before 18 years of life so please make sure that you are giving ample amount of time to your family and kids or else after 18 years you will be having reversal of the role where you will be free enough but they won't be so please earn the respect of your kids and family rather than just running after your profession because profession is at one side you need to have passion and family on the other side to keep the life balanced just remember in the end the grass is always greener on the other side so obviously i mean job you know i i have my own dreams and desires obviously and now now with maturity they are now uh the bare minimum but yeah to begin with uh i would say there is somebody always sitting over your head you don't talk about the uh the capability and everything they are there with the experience they are having experience in years not the skill and knowledge necessarily so obviously they are there over you above you dictating a lot of things you need to bear with that and at the end of every month you would find the same status as shown in the right side of the image obviously not the empty pocket but yeah a little uh is remaining and you are waiting for next salary so obviously a little constraint definitely with regards to that particular academic institute job when you are purchasing your first or second desire your colleague has actually as class mercedes so you need to choose between maruti and mercedes and obviously the desires need to be less as we can say spiritually but then again there is a subconscious comparison you will be making it when you are almost happy uh fulfilling your home loan of 20 30 years your colleague would be having no loan with two or three more extra real estate properties so think about it where you stand with regards to so-called umbrella or shield of academic institute where you can run away from your responsibilities or the complications but not the outcome you are wasting your skill and knowledge at the same point of time so again you need to balance yourself by choosing between two in the end it is always like unity amongst the professionals medical professionals you uh cannot have job or you know private practice it is all about unity and we know of this movie you know it all works on unity we need to have both of the sectors working together without getting criticism from any of the sides keeping things confidential even if it is complication with regards to private uh you know government institutes we need to work together we need to have this responsibility we need to cover it up not hiding it we need to manage it we do not need to keep on publicizing you know private practice these are wrong words wrong statements just because you are having an umbrella you cannot straight away criticize anybody because he or she has you know instilled a lot of sweat and efforts you cannot simply like you know uh uh feel superior just because you are in an academic institute so please respect somebody or the courage somebody has you are working in like uh to get three or four people together and that fellow is working alone so please respect if you cannot at least criticize uh you know your colleagues so please work in unity whether you're working in job or private practice and uh honestly i have realized this thing that uh you work on the rightest and the straightest possible path and you will be unharmed out of you know everything that uh you know the chaos seems you know in today's world so please please please work on the righteous possible part and everything else will be taken care of whether you are in private practice so basically you need to have your ethics right you need to have your skill and knowledge right and do not cross those lines of ethics and skill and knowledge if you are not able to do something please accept it and call your colleague for managing that particular case do not be shy because that might lead to complication which is not again going to be managed by you well so please draw some lines of your skill and knowledge keep expanding those horizons there is no issue with that but please accept whether you are in job or private practice please accept your own lines of knowledge and skill do not try to experiment even if you are having umbrella of academic institute because you are actually uh you know uh dealing with the patient's life so please please whether you are in job or private practice draw some lines do not cross those lines help your colleagues whether they are in uh you know obviously whether you are even jealous of them or not please we all are uh you know medical professionals we are all are you know intelligent enough to to help one another and specifically so in this era of you know chaos created around us by putting us into the consumer protection acts by putting us always on the other side of the gun we need to stay united whether we are talking about job or priorities so this is what i wanted to say please work hard work smart and please do not forget that you have a family you have a family and please take care of the family at the same time do not drain yourself or your emotions you know do not drain your emotions to the practice and that is the that is not the only thing because in the end you would be finding your family with you not your hospital so thank you thank you so much uh thank you so much dr pandya i think that was a very important message of maintaining the work life balance especially especially for doctors that yes please don't forget i know you have a responsibility towards patients and we have those oath that we take but yes family is equally important before we go on to the question i will just run the poll [Music] yes so uh for our audience members so after this session or before it what was your choice of practice please choose your option [Music] we have about 65 of them voting for private practice and remaining 34 35 percent for jobs yes uh we do have a few questions doctor manish money is asking how about joining an institute alongside private practice at periphery like as in rural areas or somewhere i think again those are the things or points we need to uh you know keep in mind but again it's a personal choice because uh when it comes to periphery it's a good practice that uh we used to have honorary status of professors they can they could work uh in private and they could come from 9 to 12 in academic institute and it was amazing thing to have them because they will be dealing with uh even instituted patients with a private approach they were updated uh surgically as well as with academics so that's an amazing thing one second thing with regards to periphery it's a difficult choice because when you have family you want your kids to study in uh good institutes academic institutes and in periphery again uh it would be like difficult task to find those academic institutes like you are finding in cities so you need to make a choice with regards to uh keeping in mind the whole family and again uh uh you there are there is a concept of working in periphery for viewers uh gathering a lot uh some amount of money and then getting uh started with uh practice in city so if you're having that particular calculation you can go ahead with that but again uh i don't think that uh seeing your family for a couple of years would be justified because they you need to have a commitment towards your family too so it's a personal choice next question by dr vivek is can anyone start a clinic directly after mbbs [Music] uh to my knowledge anybody can start a clinic even non-medical so that's a problem as well and facility as well so after passing mbps you can simply uh uh own a shop you just have a consultation and obviously a few perks of those consultation and it's a you know without any headache you can have your own okay timings and you can divert your patients according to the speciality so it's a nice choice uh again pg is nowadays getting costlier but again to my knowledge there are a lot of seats pg is available now so there are like 250 people uh doing dynamic from one university and think about the chaos that is going to be created in next five years with regards to any of the practice one more question would be like some hospitals do have the rule that the doctors are not allowed to practice outside or join any other hospital is it the same case for the government hospitals as well like can you be working in a government hospital and then have your own private cleaning or work at a private hospital as well so nmc uh or previously mca but now nmc has no no strict criteria like that uh it is like personal or individual institutes who are made such criteria and as i said it is a huge loss basically to my from my perspective because uh the full-timers do not deal with private patients they are not aware of a lot of things that are going in private sector and that is why what happens is the underprivileged patients which are coming in or who are coming in are uh you know basically not treated the way the private people or patients are being treated so the approach has been uh you know there is a huge gap between approach uh towards the patient uh between this so yeah uh the individual institute has those decisions or criteria and then again that is why you need to choose accordingly as far as you are keeping the mental piece you stay there or else you get out of print uh so anyone else yeah yes i would like to ask your suggestion for modern digital healthcare startup you are dealing you are actually on the same one of the platforms so alexis md and matrix have been doing amazing job by you know keeping everybody updated on even the smallest device like mobile so uh it is a it is a great thought you know but uh i'm sure uh this is the only result we are looking at uh there have been like hundreds of people thinking about the same concept but not many would have reached the level that matrix or plexus md has reached so i would say you can think about the startup but you need to have a good strong team because startup uh are getting uh paid uh not so much uh and i respect uh matrix because uh they are not having any advertisement i think this is the only medical without any advertisement or sponsors so i uh sell you to you people for managing it uh without this kind of uh you know nuisance uh for any of your viewers and uh it is actually a good thing you have a core team with regards to technical and i think i don't need to say about it you you can contact a matrix team for the same but it is good thought because uh we need to think uh differently out of out of the box and and you have great gurus in form of matrix team yeah thank you so much sir that those words really mean a lot to us as a team and thank you so much again yeah one question is by dr yates so is there any government regulations for online consultation [Music] uh i don't think so that we have any regulation with regards to that but we have many of the applications now available who are actually charging you some amount and then you can have online consultation uh booked as well as you know spread but again it was uh majorly making sense with regards to covet scenario nowadays i don't think it is a good practice to prescribe anything uh before examining any of the patients so first comes clinical examination and then only you would go for any kind of investigation and then any kind of prescription so without examining patient i would never ever go for any kind of advice or prescription uh legally is there any uh limit to how many hospitals mbbs doctor can work [Music] i don't think so no no no no there are many people even after pg they can go to a number of first persons apart from these questions we have some very great positive comments uh that it was a very nice presentation and it was a great session they have learnt a lot helped them a bit in solving the confusion about jobs and private practice so i would like to thank you sir thank you so much and uh thank you again sir thank you so much for uh helping our uh yeah yeah thank you so much thank you so much ma'am and uh i i think uh just just uh uh in last i would say that uh you know whatever you do uh you just have your strong uh set of ethics but everything else is going to be taken care of thank you so much thank you thank you team memphis and thank you audience thank you

BEING ATTENDED BY

Dr. Ragini gautam Rahangdale & 691 others

SPEAKERS

dr. Munjal Pandya

Dr. Munjal Pandya

Hon. Secretary of Ahmedabad Obstetrics and Gynaecological Society | Assistant Professor, AMCMET Medical College, Ahmedabad

+ Details
dr. Munjal Pandya

Dr. Munjal Pandya

Hon. Secretary of Ahmedabad Obstetrics and Gy...

+ Details

About Medflix

Medflix is a new platform by PlexusMD, India's most active and trusted doctor community. On Medflix, you can discover live surgeries, discussions, conferences and courses from some of the top doctors and institutions across the world. Join clubs in your areas of interest and access hundreds of amazing live discussions everyday.