00 : 00 / 05: 00 (Preview)

This discussion has ended. Watch the recording on Medflix app,

Lifestyle Medicine in COVID & Post COVID Recovery

Jun 24 | 4:25 PM

More than 2500 years ago, Hippocrates said-let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food. The covid -19 pandemic has taught us that it is crucial to be metabolically healthy and enhance immunity to fight this virus. Doctorvee is a practicing physician ,award winning nutritionist,and author of ‘Covid and post covid recovery’. Based on her experience with her patients ,she has developed a 6 point plan which reduces inflammation , treats and even reverses co morbidities and also expedites recovery for covid and for post covid complications. She is frequently interviewed by frontline media and national television. You can follow her on Instagram @doctorvee

evening friends and welcome another show something very interesting coming up it's how our lifestyle can change and how we can reverse diseases commonly told in the past was you are what you eat and you are what you think and the common victim that we have learned being in medicine is if you don't make your food your medicine then you'll have to have medicines as your food and to convince us medicos that medicine is not the only way out to treat diseases or reverse diseases it has always been told to us that diabetes blood pressure all these are diseases which can be controlled but can never be cured or reversed now something very interesting and very important you're going to know in the next 30 minutes that that was a myth and there is a possibility that we can reverse these things we have with us a very esteemed and pronounced doctor she's a numerical doctor with a fellowship in nutrition dr vishaka shivdhasani she's not called dr v with love of for this treating and reversing lifestyle diseases such as diabetes heart disease and obesity she practices lifestyle medicine and wellness to reverse these diseases using her expertise to combine both modern medicine and nutrition so it's a unique combination of eastern mysticism and the western science she combines modern medicine with nutrition and she's been a monthly columnist with the national newspaper mint for over seven years where she had a column on wellness she writes in his interviews regularly by vogue la htnd tv midday hello and several other new television channels in india today ndtv wow amazing you know she's always there on the media outlet dr vishaka dr v has been named as a top wellness influencer of india by vogue and she gets invited regularly or nationally and internationally as a wellness influencer as well as to see patients she's a recipient of the best nutritionist of the year award by vogue in 2017. do you think you can get so many things in a young person like this at such a young age amazing but well that doesn't stop at that the latest feather in our cap has been a book during covid time covid and post covid recovery now that is an amazing book because everybody is looking forward to that that why did a few comorbid patients get forward faster in the first session why in the second session somebody responded the other way around and her book deals with vaccination and covid and post-covid recovery welcome to the show dr vishaka and it's a pleasure and honor to have you here thank you thank you for having me uh i love that introduction about food and medicine with like like hippocrates said life that food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food i think in modern medicine and allopathic medicine we're just about beginning to understand that really after what he said thousands of years ago so you well explain what i do and uh about my my book thank you let's let's understand mam it's it's very interesting that you know you have something called a six-point plan to tackle covid and lifestyle diseases now these are very interesting trends very important six points six habits of highly successful people and six point by which six points by which you could reverse various kinds of diseases it's not easy it's a good challenge but i know for sure that she has in the past track record of 20 years she had quite a few pain of course she's she is nothing like 25 but she had the experience of her 20 years on medical practice and she has been able to reverse in quite a few patients all these lifestyle diseases to start with just give me a brief overlay before we get into that what is this six-point plan doc so this six-point plan for covid actually came about because i run this chronic reversal of lifestyle diseases program at the clinic since almost 20 years now and using the same principles i kind of extrapolated to use to reverse not reverse but to expedite recovery of covid and its complications because all these diseases were co-morbidities for covid 19 and all of them had a common denominator of inflammation what are these we talk about obesity type 2 diabetes pcos fatty liver disease so these stress chronic stress and these are all comorbidities and we have seen that these are the patients with the worst outcomes and the ones that even sadly succumb so because i could use these six points to reverse their disease i used it for covid with fantastic outcomes and these six points are one the first one is nutrition second one is taking care of your gut health third one is sleep fourth is stress reduction fifth is exercise and six is healing with supplements so this is what i use for my chronic disease reversal and this is what i use for expediting recovery with covid 19 because if you take care of their co-morbidities and the chances of complication are so much less and they recover so much faster tell me about this nutrition you said i mean all along in medical books that we know that either you are you know type 2 diabetes which is non-insulin dependent not the congenital kind of diabetes either you will need some medicines and or insulin and i've never heard that we could reverse with any kind of medicine that you know you could treat malaria you could treat covid but you could not be able to treat and eradicate diabetes or blood pressure tell me how with nutrition if at all can we do anything about that yes absolutely you can and you know in your introduction you said i've treated a few i've treated a few thousand actually reversed a few thousand if uh you know we've arrested and reversed of course we're talking type 2 we're not talking type 1 at all and within type 2 not all but most of them can be reversed provided they follow a stick protocol of the six point plan right now nutrition like i said is one arm but what is this nutrition program that is anti-inflammatory and therefore can help with uh diabetes obesity and covid it's a diet that is low and behold high in good quality fat so i tell all my patients don't fear your fat just eat your good fat now if you're going to eat the rancid fat the seed oil the vegetable oils you've got all the reason in the world to be worried because that is what is going to cause a problem but if you're eating the good quality fat if you're eating fat that comes from uh ghee from uh from avocado from olive oil from mustard oil those are anti-inflammatory and those are actually good for you so don't i love that answer when you said you can actually have ghee yes well indians i think love ghee and our ancestors have been telling us that ghee is you know good for you and it is good for you but the problem even with ghee is if you're frying something and then you use that same oil or same ghee to refry then that oil becomes rancid then that ghee or that oil becomes pro-inflammatory so you need to know that you can't refry something because then you're releasing those um you know those uh free radicals wow that's very very interesting point doctors gave a very interesting point very subtly you know when we eat outside from fairy walas or whatever they all the outside food is being refried and refried and refried oh i see that's how it is more dangerous so so you know you you might eat pakoras because it's you know a rainy season at home and you eat it and you're enjoying it but the same pakoras or bhajiyas whatever is fried from a thelevala or from outside you actually come and you get that gerd and you get that acid reflux that's because that is refried oil and it's the refried oil that causes a problem the next time you notice when you're eating something fried at home and something from outside and that's why they say fry fried by itself is not a no-no totally but refried food is a definite no-no wow that's an interesting concept definite no no yeah also it can't be fried oil with vegetable oils or from seed oil so no sunflower no sofola no canola no rice bran just the fats that i've spoken about so that is point number one second point is eat adequate amount of protein not too much protein but adequate amount of protein most indians are deficient in protein we actually eat less than even 0.7 grams per kilogram body weight and in covid because you have you know loss of smell which is very common anyway appetite goes down and covid is a catabolic state which means you actually have a muscle breakdown and then when you don't eat adequate protein then you're you're not replenishing you're not you're not giving your body a chance to heal because it's actually breaking down its own tissue so you must give it protein adequate protein not very high protein but adequate amount of now what is this gut what do you mean by inflammation in the gut with food is this swollen is this what are you what are we what do you exactly mean by inflammation so let's understand basic inflammation first not all inflammation is bad for us so when we say inflammation kills cytokine storm kills we're talking a different kind of inflammation acute inflammation is actually good for us okay so like i was saying acute inflammation is actually good and life-saving you know you're an ophthalmologist something goes into your eye that's your foreign body like you your eyes will tear up that's the inflammation trying to throw out the foreign body or if you get a wound your body will immediately form a scab so that you don't bleed to death that's acute inflammation that is good for you that is life-saving but when that inflammation after the offending agent has gone in this case it could be the virus SARS-CoV-2 or it could be external foreign body whatever the agent offending agent is if that has gone but the inflammation does not come down then you are in a state of chronic inflammation everybody who is obese who is type 2 diabetic is already in a state of chronic inflammation the problem with chronic inflammation is you can't see it it's internal it's visceral therefore it is a silent what are the science symptoms how as a physician can me and my colleagues know that you have inflammation i've never understood this concept number one is obesity if you see somebody with a beer belly you know sorry you said your gujarati but most you know if you're but but but you know a lot of people have a beer belly right all your adipose cells have cytokines in them so also in covid 19 we know it's a cytokine storm that kills now when you're obese you already have extra cytokines because your adipose cells have cytokines that they're releasing then your body is fighting both the covid infection releasing cytokine and it's already got cytokines in its adipose cells right so it's it's double whammy for it which is why that's a co-morbidity for anyone obese anyone who's type 2 diabetic most not anybody most type 2 diabetics are overweight unlike someone who's type 1 who is actually anorexic like really 10 so central obesity which is your visceral fat is a sign of chronic inflammation most visible sign of chronic inflammation with your markers of course you can do an hscrp to figure out you can do a crp to figure out hscrp specific for cardiac those kind of markers but if you look at a person you will know that this person is a state of chronic inflammation if he is overweight if he's got gut issues to answer your gut question if there's chronic belching burping bloating indigestion issues chances are he's in a state of chronic inflammation interesting point what you're saying that any of these signs are the signs of inflammation because that was never understood because there's no you know bowel movements are okay people complain they don't have any colics in them or any abdominal pain no nausea no vomiting but burping excessive reflux of acid abdominal fat most autoimmune sorry most autoimmune conditions stem from the gut whether it is type 2 diabetes rheumatoid arthritis psoriasis actually if you take a history a detailed history most patients will tell you that they've got a gut issue that's because the gut lining is actually lose then and the food particles move from the intestine into other parts of the body and that causes an inflammatory reaction and that causes chronic inflammation and depending on the part of the body it attacks you mentioned something very interesting you said type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that is something very interesting what you're saying it's an autoimmune disorder no i'm not something i'm saying i'm repeating because it should get very clearly into people's minds because the only thing we are aware of is SLE rheumatoid and all kinds of other autoimmune disorders that we have you know in covid 19 specifically we see so many patients who come after who you know people who are in remission with say psoriasis arthritis and they suddenly come with flare-ups and after two months three months what we call long-haulers and they'll suddenly say we can't stop itching you know our scalp is really dry our skin our psoriasis we've got plaques now and the arthritis the inflammation in their joints and we see this routinely this is also these are all signs of chronic inflammation very interesting so now comes the most important uh important burning issue gut cleansing and how to manage your gut and your probiotics prebiotics uh whether the the dahi that we have you know the the buttermilk people have how to create that let's talk a little more on gut cleansing and how can we have good bacteria what are we eating how well should be the emotions we please go and expand on that because that is a very major domain yeah so 70 percent of our immune system is in our gut 70 percent we've actually started calling it the second brain now because the entric nervous system is also in the the gut right and it's got now the number of bacteria that are there in we have good bacteria and bad bacteria the microbiome they're actually 100 times more bacteria than cells in our body than the human cells so we actually more bacteria than we are human being because it starts from you know the the oral cavity and goes down up to from where we excrete our anal canal so that's the entire area of the microbiome and there are 100 trillion of them so we have to find out how we can actually increase the good microbiome and deplete the bad bacteria so that is when you look at food when you look at lifestyle you should say what am i doing to actually make sure my colony count of my good bacteria is going up and what am i doing to make sure that my bad bacteria is not thriving so for that you include like you said good probiotics and prebiotics prebiotics come through fiber they come through your vegetables so oats vegetables green leafy vegetables berries these are good sources of prebiotics probiotics are in your fermented food so you have yogurt which is a good probiotic not prebiotic like someone's saying sorry so that is a probiotic so whether it is your indian pickle whether it is your chaas dahi then you know this is your common indian probiotic food then of course you have sauerkraut and miso but those are not commonly eaten here in conditions like covid19 i tell all my patients it's a good idea to supplement with a supplement take a probiotic supplement it's okay to replenish with your with your chaas and with your dahi and with your pickle but not many people can tolerate pickle so it's a good idea to take first thing in the morning empty stomach replenish the good bacteria see we also take very often you know the Fabiflu whether it's a steroid whether it is ivermectin it also giving very often not always but a lot of medication so then it is a good idea to replenish but also because appetite is load your In covid most people lose weight so it's therefore i prefer supplementation during an illness if somebody is asking non-covid you don't need to supplement you can just have you know prebiotics probiotics also you need to diminish your sugar content because sugar is a very inflammatory food that's of course part of the third thing when you come to carbs you talk but sugar will always cause inflammation in the gut that's one thing and your good fat your omega-3s will decrease the inflammation sugar very important sugar refined sugar that we have and you can have a stevia or you could have sugar free and or jaggery the indian jaggery or honey coconut sugar you know what is your opinion on that yes refined sugar we all agree that it is not a great idea but we need to have the terrible sugar totally avoided yeah terrible idea yeah yeah so anything that comes out of a tin can bottle that is refined in covid specifically has no room should not be in your kitchen at all because those are all pro-inflammatory foods they will increase your crp which means they will increase your inflammation basically so you should completely stay off anything that is processed if you've got covid if you've got diabetes then whether you have jaggery or coconut sugar or honey the effect on the blood sugar is the same so they should all be out of bounds those patients need to use a sugar substitute like stevia splenda erythritol monk fruit i i'm not a big fan a fan of stevia because stevia also causes dysbiosis so while it does not increase your blood sugar it actually changes the balance between your good and the bad bacteria so it increases it proliferates the bad bacteria so you know if we on one hand say 70 percent the immune system is in the gut we can't be giving foods that see ultimately you're looking at the body as a whole you can't say i'm taking care of somebody's blood sugar but not taking care of someone's gut you have to take care of the person in totality so i'm not a big fan of stevia but the rest of them yes they work and if you don't have a chronic metabolic condition if you're not metabolically dysfunctional don't have any of these diseases then of course you can take your coconut sugar or you can take your honey or maple syrup agave i don't like these are things with very high glycemic index will cause insulin resistance will cause diabetes going forward if not diabetes at least insulin resistance and in the young girls pcos so in the young girls i definitely don't give from menarche to menopause which is half the age gra half the lifespan of a woman i say if you have insulin resistance stay off all interesting absolutely fascinating that so and then if all white things so white salt and sugar so what about salt there well i don't think salt is that bad actually and now there is lots and lots of theory on that so if you are uncontrolled hypertensive then yes but even if you're slightly elevated uh you know a slightly high uh hypertension if you've got uh there's nothing wrong in taking your salt and your regular khana just don't take extra table salt you know salt on your salad or pickle papad those kind of things should be avoided else it's okay absolutely okay it's actually the sugar that causes even high blood pressure there's a whole book called salt fix on it written on it which is the best seller it's a fantastic book and i see the name again man the saltiness very interesting point that you know how sugar could be responsible for your blood pressure also minus the salt yes yes it talks about how it talks about how the kidney retains water holds on to it and therefore there is an electrolyte imbalance and that takes your blood pressure up i've said it you know just uh bottom line something's very subtly keep taking sugar it's a question of time before you'll develop type 2 diabetes almost no not type 2 diabetes but insulin resistance now if yeah so now if you have insulin resistance you're anyway pre-diabetic frankly and it is a comorbidity for most things including uh covid 19. so insulin resistance is you know uh and pre-diabetic state is now what they're calling type 3 diabetes now let's come to this insulin resistance you know the the fad of intermittent fasting and just no stimulus for insulin release during in the body during that fasting time that can change the whole level would you like to expand a little on intermittent fasting and insulin resistance and pre-diabetic insulin hyperinsulinism so i actually am a proponent of intermittent fasting you know there are lots and lots of studies now that show intermittent fasting can do you a world of good and that goes way beyond pcos and insulin resistance so whether it's preventing alzheimer's whether it is i don't give it to people who have covid obviously because i'll explain to you why later but otherwise if you don't eat there is no surge of glucose there is no surge of blood sugar which means there is no surge of insulin right so if you're if you're going to be on a baseline insulin baseline sugar you are going to also burn the visceral fat now if you are going to exercise in that fasted state you are going to burn the visceral fat much faster this has to be done clearly under guidance because not everyone can work out on a fasted state so you know there's a protocol to it but if you do that and then if you break your fast in a particular way a lot of people break their fast having they say we've not eaten for 16 hours now we can eat all the carb in the world absolutely incorrect because then your insulin and blood sugar goes from there to there there's a sudden spike you have to break it with protein and some amount of good fat nothing controls fat sugar blood sugar as much as fat does not even protein so if you have if you have some amount of nuts seeds olives anything of that sort that will control blood sugar much more than plain protein will if you're having say eggs make sure you're having it with the yellow because the fat lies in the yellow so that's how you must break it then the next meal follow you you can have a carb meal for some people who are pre-diabetic there is a dawn phenomena and their blood sugar fasting blood sugar can actually increase so if somebody is pre-diabetic don't do intermittent fasting unless you're doing it under supervision because then suddenly the morning sugar spike and then they get little nervous and worried so you need to explain to these patients up front earlier that this phenomena can happen but this is the way we change it around so you have to work according to a circadian rhythm so whether you do a night intermittent fasting is the whole science to it you can do a whole concept we will get you back on that we will have a session [Laughter] yeah so so but but intermittent fasting long and short up it works brilliantly i don't give it to people who have covid because you can get that initial like i said blood spike you can also initially see people don't eat the appetite goes down in covid then you can't tell them to fast i mean that's just wrong right so during covid i don't tell people i'm like you know eat but eat according to the anti-inflammatory protocol that i've written in my book too so there's a certain protocol with which you eat how you eat when you eat your your protein your fat your carb just follow that so that at least your crp your inflammation the antioxidants you said you know omega fatty acids so should it be in dietary supplements what are the dietary supplements that can get you more of that so if you're vegetarian then you can get it through flaxseed you'll get it through walnuts you can get it through algae so that is your vegetarian sauce not too many vegetarian sources of omega-3 if you're non-vegetarian use the fatty fish which is very very good high source of omega apart from all vegetarian sources but fish basically is very high so whether you're using salmon anything besides basa is great that's interesting and the next thing is touch the topic of pcod very important you know because whatever little that i heard in the past was all the milk and milk products with all its uh amount of hormones oxytocin being given to the cow and that's why the premature puberty and the longer lending of the cycles what do you say that is the cause of increasing number of pcod now and what dietary ways in which you could kind of abort it or leave it or cure the patient from pcod so i think junk eating fast food refined food processed food is the cause of most issues so whether you have pcos whether you have type 2 diabetes whether you're just trying to drop weight the basic dietary pattern is the same yes there are there is of course personalization when you look at persons you know hormonal report and when you look at the blood parameters there are certain things that a patient can do and can't do someone might have a high creatinine someone might so you know those things are personalized but ballpark if you keep your carbohydrate content really low and keep your carbohydrates coming just from unprocessed grains full fruit not the juice most people most parents come and tell you oh i've given my child fruit juices but you're giving your child a bolus of sugar if your child has pcos please stay away from from fruit juices even if it is just fresh fruit juice and not like store bought so if your carbs come from the whole fruit which has the fiber in it the fiber is also very good prebiotic for your gut and if they come from vegetables if they come from whole grains not refined grains you should not get carbs from any other sauce if you have your fats coming from the sources that i we spoke about your good quality protein now protein is not what you eat it's what you assimilate so there is bio good bioavailable protein which means how much of the protein that you eat you're actually absorbing so you can have say for instance just dals since now this will interest you because i'm sure you eat a lot of dal chawal you know being gujarati also that's a staple food right we eat dal rice sambar chawal whatever if you eat a lentil by itself it's a very high percentage of carbonate not protein but when you take a pro take a lentil take a dal rajma chana anything and actually eat it with rice it becomes a bio-available complete protein because the amino acid protein becomes complete so your body absorbs the co of the protein much faster and better and that is good quality protein so for somebody who's trying to drop weight i tell them you can have dal rice seven days a week for lunch and you can still drop the weight so it depends on how you how you combine your foods you have to make them more bioavailable so it's very important and i don't like very high protein see very high protein can trigger especially in patients of cancer can trigger something called igf-1 which is insulin-like growth factor and that can actually trigger cancer so in patients because it's also a catabolic state and i see a lot of prescriptions saying 1.5 2 grams per kilogram body weight of protein protein shakes you know you i don't want to mention indian trade names but give this uh shake and give that shake and give this you know powder give that away oh you're totally against absolutely against it no i'm not against whey protein i'm totally against doing one and a half two grams of kilogram of protein per kilogram body weight if you're a weight lifter if you're a bodybuilder and if you're competitive sports that's a different ballpark that we're talking about but that's a very small percentage of people but even in someone like you and me who are not into competitive sports but who are lifting weights or go to you know where with gym rats so to say yeah but if we are if you want to take weight you cannot you have to count your daily intake and you cannot exceed or if you're somebody with a family history of cancer even if you don't exceed it i don't want to give it to you don't get that six-pack but don't get cancer at least i don't want to be responsible for it so because then you can trigger that gene that is epigenetics so genetics is something that you know you can say okay my father is diabetic my mother is diabetic i've got you know my my mom has breast cancer chances i'm going to get it epigenetics is what you do to your lifestyle to make sure you're not triggering off that gene that is in your hands so you have to which is why it's personalized you need to see you know what is a person's family history when i do a dietary call when i'm speaking to a patient when i'm telling them giving them a certain lifestyle chain modification even for chronic disease reversal i have to ask them do you have a parent who's got diabetes is your parent obese do you have a family history of cancer then decide what's to be given i don't like this random rubber stamp prescription of high protein diets high protein is good for you no they're not they're a lot of caveats interesting you said rice chawal rajma chawal is a good combination it's a healthy combination yes yes similarly idli dosa so it's actually what our ancestors ate because idli dosa is nothing but lentil and rice interesting so that makes more sense that why is it more it's absolutely a perfect combination of your carbs and your proteins which is to be taken together yes yes and that we have said this uh one of the commonest thing which we found during the whole episode was depression during the covid episode and that is so rampant two things which might overlap each other is stress depression and sleep cycles would you like to expand or something like that rest how important is rest in life so you know we think that our bodies like are when when we sleep our mind is also going to sleep it's so far from the truth when when we only our physical body is sleeping internally it's like taking a broom and scavenging scavenging all the dirt and the muck that we have eaten in terms of processed food in terms of plaque that causes you know alzheimer's all that's been groomed out at night so your body is actually working 24 7. it's only your physical body that is resting but you have to give it that rest so that it's not digesting your food at night so that it can do the other activity for the peripherals so you have to rest we know you know sleep is the most undervalued arm of lifestyle for immune for immunity that we ever talk about so we we know that uh people who are sleep deprived even when they get any infection any viral infection i'm not talking about i'm not talking about sarscov2 any infection find it more difficult to resist the disease and they actually even come out of the disease and have more complications if they don't sleep even two two nights of sleep deprivation can can cause that covid is not a time to start a sleeping pill if somebody is already on a sleeping pill that's fine but all sleeping pills will reduce your immunity so you should give them natural supplements give them magnesium give them melatonin and it will actually mimic the natural sleep circadian cycle will help them sleep magnesium of course i prescribe most covid patients because it helps you sleep it helps with depression that you were talking about it helps with um constipation most patients you know especially the elderly patients during covid they can't walk around too much they're very tired so they're constantly constantly complaining of not being able to pass their bowel movements well so you give them magnesium they're sleeping they're happier because it produces you know it's an it's a mood elevator right so it does all of it so why would i not prescribe a natural supplement that's performing jobs at multiple levels and you know taking care of people providing anti-inflammatory effect so you give them melatonin you give them magnesium it takes care of their mood and magnesium is actually i call it nature's tranquilizer i take it most nights when i am stressed out brilliant that is a very interesting point that you mentioned because magnesium is the least talked about substance generally speaking you know he's spoken about copper vessels we have spoken about many other things but magnesium as people realize gradually is one of the best elixirs that we have discovered for it's a mood elevator increases your serotonin and gives you the best release so it releases and makes you more relaxed so that you can sleep well wow as a sleeping pill you take magnesium fantastic answer you know that's a brilliant one uh what about what about interstitial fibrosis that people have you know legionnaires disease or the pigeons lung and fibromyalgia these are autoimmune kind of things is there some way in which that can kind of help them reverse these not for ILD not if it's far gone ILD no for fibromyalgia yes not reverse that can go into remission i have had two patients who haven't complained in the last many many years so whether that's a cure or whether that's remission we don't know right because but lots of people can go into remission with fibromyalgia see there's no real known cause for fibromyalgia but we do know that stress triggers it we do know that you know people get nodes here especially at the on the back and they say we get like very stressed out and inflammation everywhere so fibromyalgia is you reduce the inflammation again you give a lot of magnesium you make them sleep well you take care of their gut you give them omega-3 and they respond very well knock off all all kinds of sugars no maple syrup no honey no coconut sugar no agave no nothing knock off all their sugars but they're so happy with the results that they don't miss their sugar quite quite an interesting stuff that knockoff sugars and a lot of these problems can get over you have repeatedly said that sugar is something which is definitely harmful for people it is a pro-inflammatory it is an immunosuppressant i mean there's so many medical studies to talk a little more on autophagy and using ketones as fuel for the brain harsh kapadia is asking this question and suchitra is saying is there a phenomena called fasting hyperglycemia yeah that's exactly the dawn effect that i spoke about i think she missed that yeah yeah and um the first thing autophagy happens a lot with intermittent fasting and that's one of the reasons i really like IF because when autophagy happens it also increases your lifespan it makes you look younger it takes care of visceral fat you know and all the chronic metabolic diseases you almost see disappear with autophagy so uh what is the second part of the question autophagy insulin i guess that was what i was trying to ask about yeah okay and rest as you said it's a very very important part of the whole uh criteria that that itself is the most important thing and what are the other food which are good elevators for serotonin dopamine you know the different form of anxiolytic substances which you could eat so milk has natural tryptophan in it which will convert to serotonin turkey nuts lots of almonds walnuts they are very high in tryptophan which ultimately convert into serotonin and also foods that are high in magnesium are the green leafy vegetables they have the chelated form of magnesium which is the good quality absorbable magnesium if you're vegetarian if you're not vegetarian then most of the meats do have magnesium and magnesium will convert into tryptophan will convert into serotonin so now ma'am will come to your book that very popular book harper collins number three best seller in the country i'm very proud of you and very happy for you for that congratulations wonderful achievement when everybody was sleeping and didn't know what to do during covid times yes covid and post covid recovery congratulations for their book so if you're that's dr v six point plan my plan if you have to give some synopsis from the book what is it that i've been missing out in our conversation so far well the book talks about the six points that we spoke about the main what i was trying to get out is pandemics will come and go you know this variant second we have a first wave second wave third wave multiple variants we don't know how many pandemics in the future are the the people with comorbidities are the ones who are the worst affected use this time to actually enhance your health to be more resilient so that it doesn't matter which variant which pandemic you can at least you have your resilience to count on to fight any virus any pathogen so that's what i was trying to say use this time to enhance your health to improve your immunity whether it is covid or whether it is a chronic disease whether it is reversal of the disease if you are more resilient you should be able to fight any infection very very true parveen is asking please tell the book name so it's covid and post covid recovery would you like to show the cover again you can take a screenshot friends if you wish to take a screenshot go ahead and post i think this will probably be be shown yes i don't know afterwards that is a very interesting you know she's come out with absolute one two three four five six points by which covid no covid take care of your body health yes and reverse the disease i think as as doctors you know we write ivermectin fabiflu and there is a place for medication no question about it i prescribe a lot of medication but the first thing should be lifestyle change why aren't we using this i mean that's available to us why aren't we telling patients that you need to sorry we didn't touch upon stress reduction through breathing through activation of your vagus nerve through pranayama you know everywhere people talk on television we say pranayam pranayam but the kind of pranayam you do why is it important i'll take one minute to explain that i think it's important to breathe through your nose why because your we have two kinds of immunity we have innate immunity and acquired acquired is what happens to us in our lifetime and it is what we are born with your nose is your innate immune system what you're born with it's got nasal hair that causes filtration this is a virus that goes through your nose if you're not a lot of people are mouth breathers so if you don't use your nose to properly breathe you are actually completely taking care cutting off that part of your immune your immune system so make sure you're breathing through your nose make sure you're breathing slow you're not a fast breather you know when when you're unwell when you're stressed we hyperventilate we breathe fast you've never seen somebody really calm and you know if you're really stressed it doesn't happen so you need to like people when you're saying the prayer when you're doing the rosary naturally the the count of the breath goes low because it takes you from a state of sympathetic to parasympathetic nervous system which means you're going from a state of fight and flight which is your sympathetic to a state of rest and digest which is your parasympathetic and that is when all the healing happens so you need to be in this PNS state and for that you i tell all my covid patients spend 10 minutes in the morning 10 minutes at night doing pranayama breathing through your nose doing abdominal breathing diaphragmatic breathing not thoracic breathing and do slow breathing which will actually activate the vagus nerve the vagus nerve is the queen of the parasympathetic nervous system so if you activate that you lower your blood pressure you lower your cortisol you lower your sugars so all these mucormycosis and all that happens with people with high sugars you know you these are natural ways so anytime i look at a patient i'm like my first prescription is i'll be like stimulate the vagus nerve oh there are several ways you can you know how when you wake up in the morning and you're really tired and groggy and you just go and splash really cold ice cold water and suddenly you feel that that is the quickest way to stimulate your vagus nerve okay first thing in the morning first thing is to jump in the swimming pool is that the the cold all your senses will be awakened well i i'm not sure all of us have a luxury of a swimming pool but even just splashing water on your face will do the trick and for the person who asked about autophagy actually one of you know the last 30 seconds when if you take a shower with cold water that's one way to stimulate autophagy whoa so let me tell you the whole shower some people take a complete shower with chilled water is that a good idea during during winter season also and i'm not sure during winter season because you don't want to do it at the cost of getting like a lung infection that kind of defeats the purpose but the study has shown that the last 10 to 30 seconds if you take a shower with really cold water you can actually stimulate the vagus nerve you can stimulate autophagy and there are studies that have been shown done on this lots of studies there's dr winston i keep forgetting his name walton lengo who is like uh the the chief of and jason fung who are you know of intermittent fasting and autumn is it two years back the nobel laureate so okay no no i don't think so but but but you're also talking about the japanese doctor i yeah and uh so the other way to stimulate this is to hum and to sing that's the other thing i tell all my covid patients you're in isolation 14 days even you might be basura no one's listening to you sing hum you will activate your vagus nerve you'll be calm you'll be composed so one of the reasons why you really feel relaxed and you have uh that's the biggest now interesting i never realized that yes the other easy way to do it in the same in the same vein laughing stimulates the vagus nerve see the vagus nerve starts from the base of the neck and goes up to almost up to your up to your sacrum so when you hum you activate this part when you laugh you activate the part that's in your chest but when you eat also you stimulate the Vagus nerve and different parts of your vagus nerve depends on what you eat depends on what you eat yeah yeah so and if you exhale longer than you inhale is also a quick way to stimulate the vagus nerve so if you taken three or five breaths and you exhale to a count of seven ten whatever you're capable of that stimulates the vagus nerve i actually tell all my patients this breathe through your nose diaphragmatic breathing slow breathing inhale to whatever count see not everybody can inhale 10 exhale 20 you might be able to do 2 and breathe out 4 as long as your exhalation is longer than your inhalation you're stimulating the vagus nerve which means you are still in a parasympathetic drive and that's really going to help your hormonal cascade you you when you're pranayam you're saying that most of quite quite often you realize while jogging or something people start breathing through the mouth but the best breathing is through the nose and after we wear this mask for a couple of years i think a few hundred years later our nose also will be modified genetically to be like a mask that i can assure you if you would like to demonstrate a pranayam kind of a thing for our viewers right now how would you do it poor breath force sorry would you like to do that yeah just well you can just yeah you know whether you shut your eyes or you keep it open you just like i like to just keep my hands in the mudra and just to keep it down and just inhale i always think that the best way to do a pranayam is to slight smile on your face always so so if you just do that and if you just inhale nose i'm just bring it to a count of three just to show you hold and breathe out so with inhale seek 3 hold 3 exhale 6 but i'm inhaling from my stomach not from my chest so when you do that you actually expand your chest yes that's right that's right and a common question now that people have is belly fat you know what you said is something very okay let's come to this pranayam story which you said it would decrease your heart rate also the moment your breathing is like this your heart rate will reduce and automatically of course your adrenaline will go down so the sugars will reduce and your blood pressure will go down because the heart rate has gone down so you have yes uh so you have good effect on both the both the stars blood pressure and diabetes yes and you you're right your cortisol level goes down so your blood sugar also goes down see ultimately all the hormones in the body are interlinked right all of them so if you start the hormonal cascade correctly then the remaining will also flow and your body will be in a state of homeostasis that's what you want to achieve and uh last night but the least a very important thing the belly fat is the most difficult to get rid of despite whatever you do your your tips on people how to get rid of the belly fat so there is no such thing as spot reduction when you lose you lose overall when you gain you can gain any part some people gain or lose more some parts than the others do now belly fat the reason it's the most difficult because it's visceral fat so that's the deeper fat right so always the superficial fat will go first the deeper fat goes in last if you follow exactly like what i have said really low carb medium protein not very high medium protein don't fear your fat eat your good fat there is no reason why you will not lose your belly fat i mean if you go to instagram and see the number of people who have you know the number of my patients have given testimonials as doctors we never ask our patients right if they do it they do it themselves despite that the number of people who have given testimonials of how they have reversed their diabetes reverse the pcos rip you know lost the belly fat and it's just like it's science it happens you just have to follow a protocol that's it it's not difficult it really isn't fantastic information parted ma'am lot of information for doctors themselves who have been trained to treat patients how we met well sadly we weren't sorry but we weren't taught too much of this in medical you know people expect all everybody expect that doctor would be knowing his diet that very well nobody has ever told you about all that nobody has ever been taught thought particularly out of the six points how would you put the importance on i want you to repeat the six point for the benefit of the viewers because it should go right into their head by the time they leave the show these are the six points which you may want to mention in life right diet gut health sleep stress reduction exercise use of supplements i haven't set them in the order of importance i have just listed the six if you ask me personally i'll say the most important sleep right have to take a guess but everybody's heading towards that right now okay we'll ask the others come on audience what do you think come on some answers what's what's the most important diet diet diet diet diet gut health sleep so the answer the young lady is going to come up with each one individual is different and one may be important for one and one may be one for the other one some is this to me is the single most important if you're stressed it doesn't matter what you eat and drink your your body is not going to be in homeostasis if you're stressed you're not going to be able to sleep well you're going to need even that magnesium that melatonin that sleeping pill is not going to give you that deep sleep of REM NREM and you're not going to get your cycles well but whoever is working in this great world to make a livelihood and living and all surgeons here whose adrenaline levels are always high there's no way in which there is no stress the stress is going to be there india today no doc no no no no some amount of stress is good for you you know the way in some amount of inflammation is good for you stress is good see some amount of stress the short raise of cortisol is also life-saving see you might see an animal you know we used to love we've learned in our textbook that fight and flight sympathetic it'll teach you to run right from that stressor else we would just be sitting and be eaten by that thing so in real life of course we're talking about different stressors not being chased by wild animals so some amount of stress is good the problem is when it becomes chronic stress that's when you get so we're talking about chronic stress so a weak mind can heal a strong body cannot heal a strong body but a strong mind can heal a weak body so you need to take care of your stress first everything else will fall in place and that's why the breathing technique the pranayama is so important because then even the sleep will happen if you're not chronically stressed you know when we are chronically stressed we also stress eat people eat junk in the middle of the night that actually activates what's called the endocannabinoid system in the body which is all your hormones your cortisol goes up your blood sugar goes up so that happens because of stress eating i've gone through it during med school all of us have been stress eaters at some point so if you take care of the stress everything else chronic stress i should have said chronic stress and keep your smiling photograph in front of everyone so that you know you keep you suddenly feel relaxed with that little big smile and unknown face; doc brilliant uh brilliant endeavor to pass on the information post covid age and how we can de-learn de-stress reverse important diseases in life it's not impossible just few small baby steps and they should be there with you and it doesn't ask for too much you don't have to use steroids you don't need to use antibiotics you don't have to have any side effects with those if at all there is no side effect it's way better than homeopathy it definitely will work it'll give you the right answers the way it is supposed to let you know and it'll reverse some very important stage and it'll make you happy it'll make you smile it'll give you the best of dopamine endorphins your adrenaline will serotonin melatonin and serotonin so yes yes thanks so much for a wonderful conversation and sparing your valuable time away from the family up till the late night

BEING ATTENDED BY

Dr. Neil Nunes & 969 others

SPEAKERS

dr. Himanshu Mehta

Dr. Himanshu Mehta

Ophthalmic Surgeon | Medical Director | The Vision Eye Centre

+ Details
dr. Vishakha Shivdasani

Dr. Vishakha Shivdasani

Physician, Award Winning Nutritionist

+ Details
dr. Himanshu Mehta

Dr. Himanshu Mehta

Ophthalmic Surgeon | Medical Director | The V...

+ Details
dr. Vishakha Shivdasani

Dr. Vishakha Shivdasani

Physician, Award Winning Nutritionist

+ Details

About Medflix

Medflix is a new platform by PlexusMD, India's most active and trusted doctor community. On Medflix, you can discover live surgeries, discussions, conferences and courses from some of the top doctors and institutions across the world. Join clubs in your areas of interest and access hundreds of amazing live discussions everyday.