00 : 00 / 05: 00 (Preview)

This discussion has ended. Watch the recording on Medflix app,

Makers of Modern Medicine #3

Oct 07 | 2:30 PM

Look who is here on the couch of 'Makers of Modern Medicine'! He is the bonafied figure in the field of aesthetic dentistry and craniofacial surgery. He is regarded as the 'Father of Modern Dentistry' and consulted Miss India Smiles for over 27 years. He will be talking about his journey, some hilarious moments as a consultant to Miss India and some takeaways for you to be at top notch in your field.

[Music] good evening friends and welcome to this wonderful show this evening it is my pleasure and honor to have a dear friend and a great celebrity live in person here the ever smiling man who speaks so many smiles he is the envy of most men because from 20 years he's been judging on preparing all these miss india females and he gets to look them at them very closely right into their mouth and fixing their smile so all that artificial smile that you see beside the other botox and the fillers that you see thanks to dr sandesh mayak dr sandesh myker first being a dear friend an excellent person a great human being of course a fantastic person who is actually the father of modern dentistry in india he's an innovator there are so many additions that i can put on and objectives i can put on for this gentleman that we will have no time to discuss what he has to say but to start with a few things to start with you know he's been an innovator he's been made many developments in denture dentistry across the country people try to emulate him in 2008 he did his ms from tufts university boston on temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain first indian dentist to do so and he finished his post graduation mds from government dental college in 1980 so he's aptly called the father of aesthetic and cosmetic dentistry i can imagine sandesh i'm going to come to that in 19 1980 what it was what was the spelling of aesthetic dentistry there was no spelling exactly i didn't know the spelling of dentistry and he introduced introduces to the country friends he maintains a multi-disciplinary private practice with special attention in to tmd and orofacial pain implantology and aesthetics in dentistry in mumbai in india he has authored the book more than a mouthful this is a lovely book published by harper collins and became the national best seller in no time the book has attained popularity for its easy going sassanid style of writing and readability amongst the masses and dental professionals it has been translated now in two regional languages and dental vice column of feminine magazine for more than a decade he has been contributing articles to that he's also published several articles in international books and periodicals is an unquenchable desire to learn you can only be a good teacher or a great teacher if you desire to learn first of all you need to learn you need to learn every day learning doesn't stop ever then only you can become a good teacher and a passion to teach which is difficult for anybody to emulate very easily he devotes his untiring energy and valuable time to update and educate the dental professionals in the country and abroad he was the first dental surgeon in india to train dentist in practice management so he's also good at marketing now see a unique combination of a professional entrepreneur marketing now too many skills in one particular human being so that ravana had 10 heads if if i had to put more edge this would go to 50 in case of dr sandesh maker he has so many skills with him it's marketing dentistry including the important soft skills in dental practice way back in 1997 when nobody had heard of marketing dr michael was the first to start the cd program in dentistry in 1992 in cooperation with the taj continuing education program is also cme institute called encode through which he mentors young dentists to not only hone their professional skills but also setting up a dental practice he means most sought after speaker and educator in dentistry in india and abroad and been invited at major conferences his extensive knowledge and expertise in dentistry and exemplary leadership qualities and business acumen have qualified him to present as a kol for many multinational companies he's a professional consultant for new products and marketing for messages colgate india he previously consulted so you know his neighbor mr shahrukh khan who stays like a couple of houses close to sandesh miker he is in news for the wrong reasons but this gentleman is in news for better reason colgate doesn't use mr shahrukh khan but he uses colgate uses sandesh mike to promote its product he's previously consulted to johnson and johnson for their dental products he's known for his signature smiles and has been associated with the family india as i told you fellow on the member of dental academics worldwide member of the senate of bombay university executive committee dental council of india i mean so many things that i have to say but i want to stop for a little while before i come back besides he has a huge list of celebrities who have total faith and trust in him you name it every possible celebrity trust their teeth and that beautiful smile of theirs and of course all the pretty females in the film industry with that beautiful smile welcome dr sandesh my god thank you thank you thank you very much himanshu i was just uh all you know all this time i was listening to you and every thursday you started this program and i said when i'm going to discuss with him because otherwise we don't get time you know when you are you know you're in an eye clinic i am a dental clinic there is a connection so let's have a connection between teeth and eye today so that we can speak absolutely it's my pleasure it's really my pleasure to talk to you i have conversation with you i was waiting for that thank you for inviting me until my great pleasure to converse with you you know any topic you would like to speak on friends on a personal note i would tell you most of a lot of these common friends celebrities in film industry in all have huge good words to talk about behind his back also generally doctors don't hear good thing behind somebody else's back and i must give him that compliment sandesh i want to understand i know one thing that you had a very humble beginning let me understand how you reached here because this is a very important encouragement story for a lot of young people who are beginning their career do not be dismayed by a humble beginning you don't have to be the son of a great father or a grandfather or something you could start like sandesh and i want him to spell it out sandesh you began your life at a very low level tell me how did you start with and now you reached with a big house with all the celebrity status with teaching across the world having travelled every possible country in this world with a big smile i want to hear that journey of yourself hello uh let's start because i'm i'm born and brought up in a child in hindu college one of the best colonies even today and my father was though he was not very well educated but he was visionary and mother was housewife but unfortunately i lost my father when i was in school and it was a you know like something very different for us and uh coming from a very very low economy i mean low economy uh well i always say who is rich whose wants are less so even low economy we were rich because our our needs and wants were very less so we came up that way my brothers were in iit so they left after my father's days in 73 75 both of them left for usa because that was my father's wish and i should tell himanshu thanks to my mother all of us you know our mother is our god because though my brother had a job in rajdut motorbike in hyderabad in 1973 1500 rupees a month those days but she said no father's wishes to go to us and they took a lot of loan those days 60 000 rupees to 70 000 rupees loan they got a scholarship and they went and here i would also like to tell you that my two brothers were intelligent according to my father and i am a street smart you know i'm not according to them i was not intelligent i'm still not i don't say i'm intelligent but i'm smart enough that's what my father said so if my father would have been alive can you can you imagine himanshu his vision was to make me a chef make me a chef i should love cook cooking so you should wanted to make me a chef that was if you would have been i wouldn't have been dentist i would have been chef or he was working in bombay fortress i would have become a and all that the male and the female in you both that's why you have aesthetic part you know that that is the you know each person has a male and a female in them and everybody is very ashamed to show the female in them even though being a male so the alpha male but here yeah my little finger is smaller than anybody's finger so it's very easy to move his fingers in uh in patient's mouth and do the job without any any pressure on that so now i realize the aesthetic part comes from what your father said and thought about that you could be a good chef you are always very good at creativity go ahead go ahead go yeah so uh really as father was not there so we had to do our job and one thing stuck in my mind was we used to sell crackers during diwali now diwali has come so one fine day you know you are knocking the doors of people for sailing the crackers and one of the so-called rich in my colony road number four having car and all and knocked his door and he banged his door involved we don't want anything and just banged his door and felt so very much inserted so uh that happened with my brother too so we we said that what are we doing i said then we put our thing down and then also our neighbors who are also quite well known in the society they should always tell us you know because economically and so my our children want to educate you go etc after my brothers left for usa i told my mom you know like uh and that year i was in 11th standard you know scc and i was supposed to be average student but you know in spite of my father dying in january march was the exam and i got first class with 100 you know 100 marks in mathematics so it was like a eye-opener for my family members so they said that there is no doctor in my family so you go to b you know a and b so b subjects like we bought our botany chemistry physics so i did that in your college and then just wanted to become a doctor so after my intro science i applied for medicine i didn't even know there was a dental college dentistry ayurveda unanimously otp i applied for everything and i got in dentistry that is saint george hospital and as you said you know number one you are your amitabh movie was not releasing number one title was not there but that time i had said even if i become a good polish well i should be number one now here lies that here lies a little you know problem with our our fact you know i can say dentistry they want to compare themselves with other professionals financial wise but they don't want to in you know i wanted everyone to enhance in their own field and be number one in their field so one thing was very sure after joining dentist style consulting on that and unfortunately fortunately i say fortunately i didn't have money to go for movies with my friends also my whole expenses in college dental college was 30 paisa a day for coffee because my mom used to stand tiffin and one thing being a dentist also all five years there was one dubai in my tipping voice srikant you know in maharashtrian and gujarati that would be every day there was a secret for five years in my life in any way so that happened in dentistry so you know left i mean time where you have to spare and they used to go for movie and parties and these i used to go for dental camps i joined road track that time i want to do something in dentist so i joined road track and i still remember for to raise finances for roadtrek i have to had a movie called udhaka sindhur reena roy and jitendra yes so as a you know i didn't know anything so i went to mr desai was a manager of maratha mandir in 1978. so i think i went to him i said we want to have this movie have you taken the permission of police and this and that i said no she shouted at me i just looked at him i put my down i said sir sorry if jinder give me a payload there i learned something is you know if you are ignorant say that sorry don't argue and tell them can you help me now here can you help me you get fifty percent yes and fifty percent no if you don't trust you don't get anything so i asked him he became very close friend of mine and he only directed me everything so road track allowed me to work as a camp we used to go to camp rotary club of bombay maine and i'm very proud today that my wife is a member upon brutally bombing men which i was i had an ambition to become but she became because i didn't want to go back to rotate so that happened that time and then i started doing more social service but between ssc and joining dental college one very interesting thing happened in my life and that particular thing i'm still using in my life till today i don't joined nss because that big vacation i could not go anywhere so ns is national social scheme and i still remember mrs g3 she said sandesh you got a job in mgm hospital so i said okay i went there and the job was they gave me a table may i help you believe me iman should today also i ask everybody the first thing ask my patient not your problem how can i help you now there's a difference between asking what's your problem you're rubbing on to the pain and all if you ask them wait how can i help you they'll say believe my pain that's a positive way of looking at it so that's what we started i started with that and then of course i passed every year having sports etc then i wanted to go abroad so i joined mds and mds is non-clinical subject called i am mts masters in oral pathology and i did my research in oral cancer and pre-crisis diagnostic aids with you know cytology or colluding blue histopathology in 1979 80 i introduced nmr which is now called mri for diagnosing oral cancer with tifr solid state physics in tifr so they asked me after my thesis i met damadian who was inventor of nmr and he appreciated my thesis so they asked me to do a mri probe with tifr but iman shouldn't have any finances my mother was alone my sister was younger to me and i was supposed to be doing something to earn i joined dr p and bansali at fourth and he is my first mentor why my first mentor when i decided to start practice and i said already this man was earning two and a half three thousand rupees a day and very ethical practice and one thing i learned from him which all doctors should learn is before using any instrument material you read manufacturers instructions that's what i learned from him that he was doing a great job so he was my mentor ten o'clock in the morning 8 30 at night smiling face no patient like to see you tired so that has to be there all the time so that what i learned from him is ethical practice no shortcut you can charge 5 10 percent extra but no shortcut so that was my first mentor and then when i started i wanted to start practice realize your soft skills i want to start practice from kemp's corner to nepean city road end chandra look i search each and every 1980 i searched everything i got the place thanks to mr harker who is a engineer uh you know a structural engineer through his with shashi prabhu i got a place but you know there i got the place and then i said well here the people are coming from uh wellington clubs ucci bombay gym and i hindu colony chaotically playing marbles so one of the first thing for any doctor is the soft skill how do you present yourself to the patient i said hey very basketball i came down to the other and something i did in the other in my colony which turned out to be marketing later on was during ganpati festival from my first bds to final videos and interactions to conduct a free dental checkup camp so who is conducting this camp sandesh meyer become a dentist so what is marketing letting people know who you are what you are what you do so that happened i started in the other that's for my journey to start practicing the other and after four years of practice and of course in between i was working in in trust in you know gsb trust so my daily routine was gsb stress 8 30 to 11 30 11 32 wonderful of my clinic 132 uh 4 30 i was teaching in dental college government dental college come back at five o'clock work till 11 o'clock and weekends i joined idea i was the youngest member to join indian dental association do social service on weekends so my whole thing went into dentistry breath dentistry dentistry everything was dentistry that's what happened then and then i started and after five years of practice in 1986 i got an authority to go abroad and i forget i said i'm bored of doing the same thing so what i did was instead of competing with your neighbor what different i should do so i did an implant course in 1987. implant was not my cup of tea because one should understand who should do what speciality i didn't have money to buy implant on whom to work do you have patience for that speciality i didn't have patient because i was practicing in middle class so i said that's not my cup of tea and 1988 i got a book in the beginning called you know one of my patients daughter moonwalk is rashford's father-in-law moonwalk's daughter came down to me for the work and her husband said i would like to gift you so you gave me one book change your smile by ronald goldstein and some other book i said no i want this and i look at the back i said i do everything but i don't know finishing so i contacted ronald goldstein that time no atlanta georgia and then because i was working so doing a lot of social work in idea i got a pamphlet called world aesthetic conference for the first time september 1988 in boston and i was the only indian attending that but there also these americans ask me india your country is so poor himanshu i got very upset i said you know there is a difference between your money and my money they said what i said your money is on paper my money is in paper cash and there are more millionaires in my country than your country only they don't know how to spend money the day i teach them the importance of smile and everything they will be more patient and will earn more money and giving good job than new york and today let me tell you who takes more money home is mumbai guy than a new york guy because our overalls are less but we do the same quality of work so that's how i changed then i was doing tc in a continuing education program and i got introduced in 88 with second mentor and his name is gordon christensen from pro utah he was the only guy at the taj continued education program later you know invite good speaker she was the only guy who said yes others said i want business class for me my wife my girlfriend my boys he said yes i'm coming 89 full 90 full 91 92 7 to 13 june i'll be in india he didn't even ask me business economy whatever it is i learned from you know what share your knowledge without expecting finances and i am doing that from 1988 february onwards till today my lectures are i i go out 40 weekends out of two weekends to give lectures honorary if company wants to pay the honorarium that only ram goes to my ngo today those days i was getting something but ngo otherwise they do tada you know what is cme so that's how i started in fact tomorrow i'm going to gopal before that i was before that no kanpur before that now starting doing offline lectures so teaching you go and learn something so that's what i mean sharing the knowledge so 92 i got introduced to pradip gu and i told in his years pradeep madhu separa lost because of a teeth a smile and she mentioned that there is something called cosmetic so he gave me first girl in 93 but i came up in life smile behind mankri that was in 1995 and then it was not looking back then all the miscellaneous today also this this yesterday i wanted to ask you how was your experience the designer miss world manushi it was pretty good it was it was very good it was you know like i tripped them so i was treating everyone they're hoping they become miserable so manushi children i did her smile little bit here and there not much but the biggest enjoyment was priyanka ah biggest enjoyment working was that girl was focused so much you know and and then to do some different things so manushi children was good dinah was there and today of course others are there but that gave them exposure of aesthetic dentistry i thank late pradeep boy left early this world he left very early but i thank pradeep because they put dentistry in india and let me tell you 22 days my 28th year i don't charge them at all because of them the dentist she has come up and one lady called sunita godwin from doordarshan my first program on duplession 16 january 230 before shah chayagit was my program on door darshan which just went viral all over the country so this is my journey from humble beginning where i didn't have single penny till i started study cosmetic and then i shifted to vadala east which was near no end top hill and there is the history that i came down to bandra bansten you know it's a long thing but of course i think it's short you know so fantastic i think it's the most inspiring i still have goosebumps everywhere listening to your story and it sounds very familiar because i also know that during my residency in kam all throughout i must not have spent more than 300 rupees you always remain grounded you know today if anybody asked me you know some people ask me about i'll come down there later on charge but i said do you do do implants somebody's asking yeah i do i do i do implants i do i do from pediatric to genetic i do everything let me tell you one more thing the most important you will agree with me with any doctor is diagnosis and treatment plan yes the people miss the diagnosis they only know how to do a good job so i will only do implant if it's necessary if i can save god given teeth i will save to the last core i mean friends i will give you a vouch for this i had some pain deep-seated pain when i used to eat or something and for a long time x-ray never revealed anything they started tapping they found nothing they said everything is okay you don't have any fracture you don't have any cavity you don't have anything your good teeth but my pain kept continuing and i used to get solid pain and i had no answer and then i met sandesh one fine day and he's the one who picked up that i had a microscopic fracture in my tooth there he did his cavity feeling there and that changed my life so i can vouch for him that he's the one who is responsible in saving my teeth and that severe pain which i used to get and i had no answer to that because none of my dentist friend could give me an answer so here i'm a live example to say that sandesh found it out fixed it and thanks so much sandesh for that diagnosis yes diagnosis yes so what is your approach to smile correction surgeries internally or extensive you're talking about both both i see my my statement is very simple imperfection is perfection in human body you can't have teeth perfect and the face is not perfect there are very few people who have got one what is perfect is is in golden proportion if you are read divanchi book that book there are also a snail circles are in golden proportion so whatever is in golden proportion always looks pleasing to the eyes but if your face is not golden proportion then you have to do something which goes with the rhyme so what i did was i defined three smiles as far as smile is concerned to world literature one is called aesthetic smile or designer smile that merged with your face as himanshu you know you there no one should realize something has been done but himachal's smile has become good second is bollywood smile that one is called attractive smile you know i ask usually whose smile do you remember and i give three names abhishek bachchan khan akshay kumar people say akshay kumar why they remember gummy smile small teeth so there has to be some character in human body where especially stars are concerned where they remember them and the last is cosmetic where people want straight white teeth is like a makeup they they don't need a makeup but they want a makeup so we give them the makeup so that's what is cosmetic so mind is my take for the smile is what my patients want and i understand my patient i interview my patient i see what they need and i will do only that what they need and again our philosophy in our clinic is bare minimum job not 10 20 vineyards and laminates start with two four six and see you how changes you can go on adding but don't jump into ten and give them all the smile so that's the way we work and we give what we call as insurance our work is not finished till my patient likes it so first i should like it then the patient should like it and then again i should like it technically there are a couple of times we said no technical this is not good i want to repeat it patients say i find is very good i said no i want to repeat it and no cost to the patient so that's the philosophy follow as far as external where is the probability of dentist also because we know the facial muscles one should understand the moment they put anything which is temporary that they have to do it again and again so that is good to hide the defects but nobody can enhance your body than the god so defect correction is fine enhancement is looking you know enhancement has to be done from every angle you can't do only nose or you can't do only cheek and so defect correction is something which is very important then enhancing somebody comes to us we want say mother which is mine i said i can give like a teeth but her smile is her smile because smile is not morphology smile is morpho psychology when i am smiling i am happy is a happy smile this remains the same when i am nervous is a nervous smile and when i go for condolence i smile with sad smile so this remains the same so the dynamism of lips and cheek is individual which nobody can give it to anybody fixed structure we can give it to you so that's the difference what i always tell my patient that i can't give the soft issues of the particular person but i can do the heart tissues of that particular person to give you that particular smile so that's what about a smile is so that was really nice i liked it when you said you can't really change the smile uh like you can change the heart features but yeah the smile remains it's independent i mean somebody calls them that is somebody came i want a dimple i said you say i want to like so i asked when i said okay you can get a dimple for three months then the dimple disappears but when you smile there will be a dimple so they could know they will not get pretty nimple all the time you know so that's a god given so we are human beings here we can't give what god has given you so always tell them whenever you do your cosmetic or whatever aesthetics or anything you do don't try to damage god given stuff so bare minimum damage because once the enamel is gone enamel is gone forever you can't get it back so what we do like we got fimstars coming in i mean i can rajkumar rao has got a youtube video he came and he wanted statewide anyone is fast quick i said no if you do veneers iron i want you to put braces so we put braces from inside and you put braces and he said i thank dog because now i got my original teeth so click on the smile that's right that's really true um i think that we can maybe rather few polls uh till sir comes back um i mean just a little bit at the middle these are very easy poles so the idea behind the pole is um we'll run them and the people who get the correct answer very simple polls uh anybody who gets the correct answer the fastest person to get the right answer and all three questions would um get something from netflix we'll get in touch with the person the winner and we'll get them something uh so i'll just run the first poll yeah hi hi [Music] wow yeah i want you yes yes yes i'm listening to the polls also we'll do a second call and then the third poll will get at the very uh last there you go uh so you all can scroll uh to see all the answers in the poll because uh i think there are five options so you can scroll and choose your answer a smile with misaligned front teeth can be made straight with braces invisible align all of the above veneers none of the above yeah i think the sequence got missed a little bit but get it get it get it all up yeah all right okay so i'm back to you sir go back so that was an interesting journey that you said so there is somebody asking that our certificate courses in aesthetic and cosmetology a good way to go about the aesthetic yeah because there is no post graduation in aesthetic industry so we also conduct the fellowship programs and other programs so so that's the only way to go but join those programs where you can actually work on patience but what happened to work on a tripod on titan if i take a tooth like this i can make tooth upside down and work on it it's very difficult to work on them on the mouth where the lips and cheeks are dynamic so do that course where you actually can work on the patient's mouth and the mentor is there to guide you to do on the patient's path and we are starting soon uh himanshu with two colleges so that will be announced later on what we are going to do what are the golden proportions for smile designing see golden proportion when you look at the teeth you know the ratio is one point six one eight and the center in size then is one and there is 0.618 1.68 is the ratio for the whole body the ratio of your palm to the elbow to the shoulder is also everything is related to 1.618 that means found by pythagoras plato also came into picture he said 1.713 is golden proportion but that didn't work so greek people went the other way around they said all pleasing they connected with the nature also and they found that 1.618 is a golden proportion so that's the golden proportion where you make the teeth smile in a golden proportion that's exactly wow that's an interesting pythagorea greek philosophy and then you know yeah that's interesting but you know what is a good instrument to check the golden proportion you know america they have got these and they major there is something called digital smile design they measure these measures no eyes your eyes say it is pleasing it has to be in golden proportion that means you got a aesthetic eye so the difference between the general identities and aesthetic dentist aesthetic dentist should have eyes for that so everybody can't become an artist so aesthetic dentist is an artist so today i want i do the same colors may not come tomorrow so that's it if you do some things in in bulk at a time no that's what i appreciated in the beginning when you were talking that you have to have that aesthetic part in your life creativity then you can get that third sixth sense yeah to do a proper aesthetic dentistry how about uh botox you know what what is it that you would talk about botox i said botox and all can be used to remove the defects that's what my take i i will not advise anybody i mean i for enhancing like for example i got a frown lines here but i won't like to do other things here because that's nature the moment you put anything it should not look artificially but some people like it by the way some people love they want this they were i've seen so many people i've seen one patient of mine very high profile 20 years i was sitting at 20 years i saw the change using botox and field i know like whatever they were using so there is an advantage and disadvantage so anything you do in life you have to know both you know advantage and disadvantage so that's the way i would like to suggest people when to do why to do how to do and why not in a dental setup should dentists be doing restricted to this area should they be doing botox practice yes i always tell them that you have given your feel to medical practitioners because who knows facial muscles more than a dentist because we have learned only this much so botox feelers is the next generation my daughter wants to learn that now she said i would like to do that so that's the next generation can do that particular aspect beyond pink you know he says smile is beyond pink and white so smile is not pink and my lips one lecture is smile beyond pink and white so one can do that you know and and make them look better that way so jainish a young person asking how about aesthetic dentistry medicine after mbbs as a career option should that be considered to go as an option only aesthetically no aesthetic dentistry will be difficult for you because you have to learn dental anatomy and your skills are different because we learned it dentistry from first bds to final videos okay we but we are we also learn medical factors like we learn anatomy physiology in first year pharmacology pathology secondary medicine study third year so dentist becoming mbbs is easy because we learn all those subjects whereas dentistry and mba is only two weeks you know in four and a half years so that they also bunk sometimes so so they don't know much about that so to learn dentistry will be definitely about you can go in for facial things you know soft issues but not heart tissues difficult to learn heart disease one of the thing is bite occlusion you talked about me of tmd or facial pain what i learned today what i did that's very interesting story how i came on that sector i was told in 1997 that i got spontaneous 1999 i visited stuff university with no and i saw everybody was treated for headache neck pain shoulder pain i said what is this so i learned i said this is say i told him give me a splint he gave me my pain went away 2000 i learned 2001 when 9 11 happened my assistant associate was there i left for two days early 2002 every year i showed 15 days learn and i was experimenting on my patients in india you know because it's non-invasive non-medicinal if you don't lace like a specks if you don't like it just took it away i learned that in 2004 they said that you know i was just casually sitting in the tufts university and didn't have come to my house so we were just discussing and they said course is ready ms everything is fine we require five students are registered utilities canada and all we want one more so i lose my hand he said why you are a hysteric dentist i said sir i want to introduce tmd in india if my pain goes away there could be thousands of people in this country that medical practitioners can't treat because they don't know the occlusion bite is a relation for this whole thing they're on medicine so we dentists can do that that is called tmj so we can do that and that's how i did i did my master's after the age of 50 i was i graduated age of 54 okay so i did that and three years i went there up and down four times a year studying after 10 o'clock practice and et cetera but that's the story but now there are many people are doing it like aesthetic dentistry i was only one but i started an academy in 91 today 30 years everybody is doing it there's an ocean of patients there no one should not think submarine time you're also human being yeah you can't treat more than so many patients a day so that's how it started tng so that is a very interesting thing tmj junction being one of the first few indians to get into the branch of temperamental joint disorders this was the motivation for you that that became a very important point why you did that yeah my motivation was see let me tell you one more thing himanshu whatever aesthetic dentistry i'm speaking about i'm doing all has been done in my family member's mom my wife did the braces first time when she realized that i'm going in cosmetic you know my mother had an implant first time when i did implant first implant was done in her mouth so i had a problem so i know exactly what patient face when they call me up you know middle of the night i'm getting pains i know because i've gone through the same so the point is that experience in the family and friends you have that you do in patients you don't do things you know there are youngsters come to our clinic doctor we want to work i said okay get your parents and work in their mouth i'll be there you can't work on my parents am i my patients so youngsters i have learned in my life by only observing and implementing in charitable clinics i should carry my own equipment instruments so observe observe and ask yourself why is he doing this answer you find don't ask him find the answer write it down so there are a lot of procedures i learned only by observing and i visited n number of clinic you will be surprised i i assisted one implant guy you know there's a clinic called a swiss smile at zurich a station quebec they got a clinic there so i went there so he was doing implant i said can i assist you my age was 60 years ago was 35. sir i said yes and i learned from him what did i learn from him that when you do implant your backside table should have all the equipment instrument for complications if at all it happens so today himanshu i got a implant center at the other where i got everything ready grafting so investment has been done there but social service came also so my implant center i announced in 2018 is an open implant center if you are a dentist you can't invest in implantology because put quite a good investment come to my implant center get your patient you do the job whatever you use pay the office and go you are the patient so you don't have to invest so i will give you everything if you want implantologists will be our implantologist pay everybody but patient is yours take the patient away with you this is not our response it's on the other floor nothing to do with my clinic directly so that's the way is combination of goodwill social and earning also it goes together one more question which is there is would you prefer a zirconia crown to win vineyards zirconia i hate zirconia i'm sorry to say that zirconia is a metal which is stronger than your tooth there's a technician who say you hammer the zirconia it will not break and i have my experience though it has not been documented and presented root canal tooth zirconia crown down and up your roots fracture so your either your opposition goes away or with fractures there is something called bruksha now bruxism is not this movement luxism is this movement for that lateral movements you can use it but i will never ever use zirconia just to earn say extra i will not do that if plus many people don't know how to cement zirconia and then if there's any problem to take out zirconia spend so much time energy money with the instruments so why zirconia zirconia because technology advanced zirconia came into picture all technology let me tell you human shoe all technology my take on i'm telling myself 80 percent is benefit of the doctor and the surrounding staff 20 is for patient if it is more for patient do that technology so and then you invest so much of money at the end of the day you don't earn because you have to pay for the equipment so ultimately you're charging patient more to pay for the equipment what is your net profit same so why you want to do that so if you want to do white have a metal unless patient have got allergy to the metal you have got gold you can got either the qualcomm whatever metal cover fully with ceramic it's like zirconium it reminds me about ophthalmology yeah very expensive lasers yeah we have five lasers you know we have the argan laser the diode laser the femtosecond laser the eczema laser so i keep telling my juniors in my talks that what first of all the government takes the money when you buy property you buy post tax property money post tax money then you buy property you take money from the bank you take loan buy equipments you take money then you pay tax on it and then to keep those equipments and property going you paid insurance the money so who's making money the equipment manufacturers the bankers and the internal people exactly and you don't pay taxes you want to have depreciation then invest but juniors don't invest in that but let me tell you as a junior one of the things which brought my career up today if you ask him on show anybody buying a dental chair new practice how much they will pay they say two likes three likes four legs when i started my practice first november 1982 my chair and the equipment was costing 1 lakh imagine 1980 why because that's the machine which works fast easy patient don't get pain your value for money you know time wise you weren't fast that was my equipment so i bought a first edit equipment from america that's what i started my practice today people spend more on interior when you're a new practitioner waiting for your interior will come in when you got no place on the working chair that comes after 5 10 years of practice not immediately so show business this you know any practice in your practice my practice there are three things even chartered accountant practice any practice showmanship salesmanship workmanship showmanship is to show what you are sales manage your soft skills to convince the patient talk what what you can do and last and the most important workmanship so workmanship should be such that every patient of yours should be your brand ambassador you don't need one brand ambassador every patient should be a brand ambassador and if if you think that every patient your work will be unique for that particular patient one more question sir which crown would you would you suggest metal crown or acrylic none of them i will have ceramic pfm what we say ceramic i will never have metal acrylic is always provisional it's temporary crowns they look crap actually which all ceramic crown do you prefer well i use you know this metal bond to ceramic i use vita avocado 3m and if i'm using a venus i will be principal linear e max or an aesthetic veneers from io cloud that's what i will use for veneers or laminate so this is what i can use in my practice so this is the way one can use in practice so the question somebody is asking beside books on dentistry which is one book that the dentist all the dentists should read when they start practicing they should listen if you want if you want to it's not read the book is to observe successful people and pick them but good point from them a writer who writes the book can give you and if you read and do that that becomes an intellectual borrowed knowledge but if you observe a good practitioner senior practitioner and then you think this is what i can do and then go to second every practitioners have got some good points forget the bad ones some good ones pick that pick that pick that that's what i did in my career bansali gordon christensen michael miller josh friedman you name people i observed them learn from them and i said then created sandesh michael so it's a combination of everybody it's not that you read one book and then you become this books will give guidelines it's not a rule it just gives a guideline and that's what one has to do in the practice and that's in natural life also you know so that's very important every person is a great teacher from some you learn what not to do and yes come you learn what to do in life you learn from your what what why in your case and my assistant also you learn few things from them and the first thing in anything what one should do is to say hello and good morning to the glyph man belle boy ward boy other people but that's what is very important so that keeps you down and humble all the time that's very important you know in in in life actually in practice though hey because what happened somebody asked me you know my himanshu how do you tackle you also have got celebrity patient like amitabh and many others so how do you tackle celebrated patient i said their celebrity stature is outside my clinic inside i only see the teeth and the disease so when i talk to them i just talk about that disease and all all those stuff and only thing is little bit of pampering little bit of you know soft in they don't want anybody else in the clinic all this thing you can do it but never allow them to become your crown you should be the king with your own crown and they are ordinary patients let me tell you man you also must be they love that they don't like that chaprosi you know they don't like all those nonsense they like that normal human being atmosphere and behavior mr bachchan or aishwarya or abhishek all of them are extremely great individuals when they are minus the crowd they are one in the room for 40 minutes they will chat yeah we go they are as normal as any other human being and it is wonderful to see that but as you said how to tackle each one of them they should also feel respected that they are with the right person and you are not going on gossiping about them it's very important initially i would never you should tell now people talking even though priyanka chopra put myself on the ins on her instagram so then i can speak about srk also used to come at 11 12 once we finished his treatment at 1 30 and uh we were chatting till quarter to four then gauri called up let doctor sleep because tomorrow has to work early morning so that happened years back you know so it's all depends on how you know so that was that's that's something is very very important in life yeah right somebody is shivangi is saying yes sir you should write your experience in a book friend that is coming very soon that i can promise you with his experience it will be a great book for people to emulate and learn what is going on you know i'm planning to write on two things you know treatment planning and patience attitude and how once you select a doc etc etc but but basically now even chartered account today before yesterday asked me how do you raise the charges you know kpmg charged 10 times than me i said here they are look at yourself you know you should be first is show manchester united you know that is the first thing then you know salesmanship and then your charges are very important himanshu i don't know people people complain doctor mayaker you are expensive i said how is that work i said work is good i should have value for money if i charge less there will be 25 30 40 percent outside i will not able to give time and we're dentist artist so we give insurance which you know whatever we charge is for value for money so one of the things is that i have got my chair is costing me 15 lakhs 30 likes so that comes for as a charge in your charge also so there's a different way of charging people and that's what we people should realize and one of the reason to charge is that okay or if you can't afford then there are many other people who can do at that charge now do call them now i am a human tell your you know that if your poor will give discount i mean you if they come with a prada back calling cause costing two lakhs of rupees but they want uh something to be done very cheap and that is not now huh i still remember dr bansali's incidence a fat lady so at the end of the day for you and me who is rich a person who pays my fee that's all so in my example i give them that they are ready to pay money for this which has to be thrown off in a year or two yes this will remain this will remain for the rest of them but but still this is a priority yeah yeah even dentist is not a priority they don't understand and then the whole energy at the old and growth and development of the child is digesting the food for which require healthy teeth for which requires servicing of teeth so maintenance of it is very very important absolutely important that's what people should realize so that's what is something very interesting importance of sports dentistry fellowship course after videos it's pretty good but before you do the any course now then you contact say bcci for cricket you know hockey people or and talk to them you see indian hockeys are not wearing the splint inside guard where you see australians are wearing the guard so that someone has to introduce them to them that this is what is necessary this is what is to be done in fact one of my friend i think dr binal mehta is on the board of bcci in mumbai he when the matches are going on he's sitting there if any emergency comes in etc so so people are doing that so post dentistry be do something different and become a unique person here manager now what is the new thing after aesthetic cost if i was to pursue a new career in dentistry what is it that i should take now in the next decade what do you see unfolding the this ticket is a combination what i say functional smile design smile design is going to smile functional smile design you get into the bite you get into tmj you get into smile you get practically all branches of dentistry and it's not necessary that i should do all branches of dentistry i should know all branches of dentistry i get it done from the expert i still remember i still remember mrs godrich you know her root canal was to be done diagnosis was problem for treatment plan was she said do it i said not me he she looked at me and she said i wanted to my endodontist she looked at me and said doc i thought you were the best doctor i said permesh she never liked to call madama vermesh you are not wrong best doctor knows what not to do and i got expert and i know what he is able to do and definition of expert imagine i was the editor of indian dental also in journal from 89 to 91 91 september issue i wrote who is a specialist a is not with degree a specialist is that person who do one job again and again again and again again and again every day if a general bds doctor doing 10 root canals a day and a endodontic is doing two root canals and general practice for me this guy especially is because he is doing that's the way we say practice again and again again and again handset for the good things so that the specialist should understand that specialism do that particular job again and i can have patience sky is the limit in every medical branch and ethical practice ethical practice himanshu very difficult i always say in in one of the mantras for my success is look the benefit of the opposite person he will look your benefit absolutely finish that's the mantra yes i'm reminded of bruce lee's lovely statement that he i'm not worried about somebody who practices 80 000 types of kids but i'm worried about my opponent who practices one kick 80 000 times super that's what is special is all about that is what a specialist is all about that's special it's all about that's what one should think about it so that's so these are the different aspects if doctors are listening or lay people are listening lay people also should know they should understand my book first book is that to make them understand and every doctor has got to tell them what they are doing and why they are doing you can't beat around the bush that first sitting with them one has to explain them everything and patient should be satisfied and never i'm my advice to any dentist or doctor never start the procedure on the first day because you should give time for the patient to settle down i've got so many patients how can you say so give them the time and the moment you give them the time what happens patient go and think if you do immediately you don't have confidence in yourself [Music] the common sense questions for a stupid person like me and you know anuja is asking what what to avoid while brushing teeth every day ah now that's it that's what i said with the brush and the you know i got a brush here and i got a toothpaste here the first thing is if you see the bristles turn around your brush is useless your bristles has to be straight the bristles have to be straight okay then once you clean the brush how often should you change the brush i'm coming i'm coming to that first you hold the brush never hold the brush tight you see the pressure here if you brush tight your hand moves from elbow hold the brush the same way but the pressure should be like a painting brush so you'll look like a risk you know this movement your brush will never get spoiled it will not become like a flower okay so you should change the brush after three months because bristles become little softer the efficacy of the bristles goes away so that's the way you can brush twice a day but very lightly and you should move your tongue to see if it becomes smooth that shows that your brush properly all the corners and all the areas but one more thing in one show no one tells you one thing how to take the toothpaste on the brush and no company will tell you because aesthetically tvp etc etc you know people take the brush to paste on the brush you know like this so the way to take the toothpaste is this is a brush press vertically and the pace goes down inside the bristles they will never come out and then you move that bristles all over all the time when you're brushing your paste is coming paste is coming paste is coming so these are the few things which are very very important for brushing never brush horizontally you get cavities some people feel that i brush three times four times my people are white no they become yellow because enamel is white when you remove a level dent in the second layer is yellowish that's what he says so your question was not stupid i was waiting for this question you would not ask me i would have showed you because 99 people makes the mistake about this how many of you know that playstation will be taken inside a business these they show on the television looks nice but medically dentally to keep hygiene this is the way one should take the paste on the brush this is what and very lightly and any specific brand or anything which is no no hard medium soft soft soft or maximum medium but soft soft and soft see you are brushing your thief to remove the dust like plug you are not scratching it so what you use for your silver glass you don't scratch it you just say very softly you can use it you know similarly use that way very softly some people would like to have electronic brush you know if you have electronic brush when you use electronic brush there are brush available vibrations oscillating half rotation full rotation so you should ask your dentist and this also don't process against the teeth if these are your teeth don't press it against the teeth very lightly and move it so your action if you have got a heavy hand you should use this if you have got a habit of brushing wrong the habit will never change because your body is acquainted with that those who are brushing horizontally please go for a electronic brush so that that will do very likely job and then you can get your teeth clean what about the gun to remove food particles between water guns yeah that is a that is a floss you know that is available water jet no that is available in the market one should have it as you grow older the gums go down then there is a triangular gap between the gum and the teeth and the food parties usually go there so there are two ways of doing it one is to do floss one can use interdental brush you know this is a brush like you clean your baby bottles but these are very mini size that goes in between without damaging the two they remove the foot particles and clean the area in between so that floss water floss is available but that's what one has to do in the practice very much how often should one be brushing the most simple question the one should i mean if you ask me which i also don't do it uh one should if people are brushing twice if they should work twice people say night brushing is very important because whatever you eaten overnight they get fermented and your saliva remains acidic that removes the enamel from the tooth surface saliva acidic is what the reason for the enamel going so your night brushing is very important once you press the night morning brushing i will suggest after breakfast because morning at night your brush you are not taken anything so you got a natural oil flour have drink water have tea that they they have a bad tea right have tea have your breakfast but the problem is we brush then have breakfast and then you got those all this plaque to the next uh 12 hours later so my suggestion personal suggestion is night and after breakfast so once you brush after breakfast your teeth are clean till lunch after that also it is clean so that's what is very very important really brilliant suggestion what you're saying then some people have a tight grip at night you know that that's what my splint that's what tmj is now imagine anybody is listening to me put your finger on the master and put your finger here and clench your feet only one hand is okay clench your teeth you see the muscles acting right now take your clean finger and here put inside nutty muscles are relaxed right so what we do is we can't change your mind to clench your teeth but we give a splint now anybody can't i can say right hand left hand but tm join is bilateral both the joint move together okay so that splint is very important i am using for last 22 years there are a lot of patients one of the patients who wanted to get in she said i would like to say that my headache neck pain went away because of this and we can be who has done tmj can diagnose looking at your teeth you don't have to tell me i just touch their shoulder they say ah i said this is because of your teeth and they are surprised i go to physiotherapies i do this but again 15 days it comes back because they have not removed the positive factor they are treating the symptoms the causative factor is here and that's what has to be removed and it's very simple yeah again no invasion no grilling no feeling nothing just use that balance your bite which is very important so your mass your chewing muscles are not only this not only this your this also neck muscles also hold the joint position so all these muscles if there is a problem think of this there is a problem a lot of people go to ent so their problem is pmd temporomandibular disorder whether tympanic nerve which goes to year also goes then my first chapter in my book now this is a book which i have written my first chapter in this book is suicide was in his mind that guy was getting 16 hours sound in his ears he said i want to do suicide he ain't even referred to me we treated him tinnitus not hundred percent which i inaudib in 2008 and i still remember ali premijis himanshu you should also remember ali premji's we approach chairman's speech 2003. you know what he has written you should change when you are at the peak so if you are doing one procedure you have to pick learn some business procedures so i i did aesthetic 15 years then i went okay now to tmg now i do function as my design and now i have to give back to the society by by going to the public headlines and educating public my main lectures will be for public at large to educate them to tell them the importance of titan is so easy to maintain i have written my book if you go regularly six months for check up your expenses are x if you get a small cavity 2x you don't go to dentist 5x big cavity don't go to dentist 10x root canal don't go to dentist crown 20 x don't go to dentist extraction implant 50x 25 years you can service your mouth by doing one implant it's just servicing article demands you one truth missing not replaced in time is give you headache the whole bite changes so the importance of that's what my future if you ask me what's your future is educating and going to can my healthy smile title is my friend dr kumar swami gave me this title is first decade no dickie healthy smile first decades we are treating checking patients from 6 to 10 years first mother comes who can't afford root canal they will do extraction they will not replace the teeth the whole body will go for a toss that's my future so you are saying that the teeth falling down with age is not not a necessity if you have taken good care yes yes interesting even if your teeth that's fine because your muscles then can't chew chicken as the way you are between chicken at age or 20. the muscle you know no city they should go with you that's what whenever you go 100 200 years whenever you go they should go with you but maintain six monthly checkup brushing all these factors are very very very very very wonderful i think something very very revealing for anybody and including me i have no question something which you said that shoulder pain tmj joint it's such an important thing that people miss out any medicine might have little side effects no so that's that's very important so before i end you speak something i want to show one thing which is very important how to floss yes please please i just getting the flaws [Music] you can speak something yes yes friends i'm i'm sure that you must have enjoyed what a lot of interactive session right from his heart from his personality development to how he has grown how he has learned how he has learned to change himself a lot of things to observe from young age mid-age senior practitioners the secret qualities of success why people are magnetically drawn to a person like him this is what he has been saying in the past one hour and very interesting information that he gave how it is fine start and have your life from a very humble beginning you don't need to be going anywhere else have faith in your own self have faith in the person you are looking at in the mirror and keep growing keep learning keep innovating there's a lot to be done dr sandesh and similar people are there to inspire you and believe you me i can tell you you go to him with a problem there will never be a problem he'll always come back with solutions he will always tell you what is right what is wrong and he would be there i think we can run like the uh last poll till then yes um this one will actually uh tell us how many people were paying attention during the whole session because this has come come up during the session a lot of times now [Music] so all three right answers and um the winner gets a signed copy obviously the book is my adventures of life can you hear me i'm back here yes yes sir we were just running the last four i don't rejoin again yes all right so there are a few like mew said his adventures i think they got a little confused with that yes okay just want to show you them this is a floss can i can i show yeah yes please please you're on no usually when i tell people to take out a floss they take out a flock this much and then they roll the full finger and this doctor we can't do there's a breeding happening etc etc you know this is not a way to floss you have to take out the floss at least 18 to 12 to 18 inches okay then you roll the floss in the middle finger middle finger both middle finger okay and then hold with your thumb and index finger it easily grows to the last tooth so this should be the way you should hold the floss middle finger and then these two fingers can take the floss all over so if you brush well use a nice toothpaste floss interdental brush and visit a dentist every cambridge london doctor says root canal and she sent me the exa patient is getting pain but it's not root canal root canal is not necessary so diagnosis means correct so one should patient should know and in my book i have written one should can take second opinion but never tell that this doctor in america isabola never go on google and talk to me because google is generalized never tell me my so all these factors are very important for lay people when they go to a dentist they should understand from the dentist's mouth his intelligence his treatment plan his diagnosis keep quiet go home you want to take second opinion get the common factor and then decide because doctor patient relationship is like a family member relationship husband wife or something the moment you click with somebody finish that's your guy forever i had kovid i went to the old country i didn't even know him but i saw him on television i said i want to go there lila is next door to me but i said no raul he said i will not able to see you i shall just check my records i went to him i gave him what he gave me except for exercising what he came i never asked them so selection of doctor is in your hand don't direct the doctor for the treatment that's for everybody and i don't doctor should learn that they should not take the direction from the patients what treatment one should give thanks andesh thanks for your time pleasure having you there wonderful heart-to-heart talk lot to learn my pleasure my pleasure to talk to you well lot many things we can speak again sometime later on different aspects we will do that we will do it thanks very much and thanks friends for watching this show have a wonderful time good night dustinya and we'll see you soon again okay bye bye good night thank you

BEING ATTENDED BY

Dr. Neil Nunes & 1692 others

SPEAKERS

dr. Himanshu Mehta

Dr. Himanshu Mehta

Ophthalmic Surgeon | Medical Director | The Vision Eye Centre

+ Details
dr. Sandesh Mayekar

Dr. Sandesh Mayekar

Father of Modern Dentistry | Founder of Indian Academy of Aesthetic and Cosmetic Dentistry | Consultant for Miss India Smiles for over 27 years

+ Details
dr. Himanshu Mehta

Dr. Himanshu Mehta

Ophthalmic Surgeon | Medical Director | The V...

+ Details
dr. Sandesh Mayekar

Dr. Sandesh Mayekar

Father of Modern Dentistry | Founder of India...

+ Details

About Medflix

Medflix is a new platform by PlexusMD, India's most active and trusted doctor community. On Medflix, you can discover live surgeries, discussions, conferences and courses from some of the top doctors and institutions across the world. Join clubs in your areas of interest and access hundreds of amazing live discussions everyday.