Top 20 Powerpoint 'Powerhacks'

Please signin to watch the full session

Top 20 Powerpoint 'Powerhacks'

9 Sep, 1:30 PM

[Music] uh good evening everyone i am dr naveed from team netflix and on behalf of team netflix i would like to welcome you all to today's session um oftentimes the doctors struggle with our presentation and we are not able to keep our uh engage our audience to the very last life we have so much of information that we want to share and we sometimes fail on how to actually present it and put it on the slide and you know communicate that with our audience so today we have with us are dr rohan desai ceo and founder of plexus md with us here today uh he is gonna tell us about the top 20 powerpoint power hacks that we could use to make our slides and presentations thanks a lot for the introduction uh good evening everyone presentations become a very routine uh part of our medical continuing medical education and all of us end up consuming or producing dpts uh fairly frequently so just to start things off uh i had uh two three uh polls to understand uh more about how all of you do your presentations and also so that everybody gets an idea about preferences so the first question is coming up and the question is how many presentations do you make every year is it less than two three to five six to ten or more than ten b wow i didn't expect that uh uh most of you make more than 10 presentations and the and a fair number make six to ten so that's about one presentation every month uh that's a lot actually so uh that's that's very interesting and then the second question is uh how proficient uh are you with powerpoint or keynote uh is your proficiency level basic or novice or beginner or is it intermediate um or is it [Music] this will uh help me uh also understand the level of detail in which i should go on some of the points that we'll be discussing so [Music] where uh largely beginner to intermediate as you would expect the third pole and the final poll is very interesting so this you have to answer as an attendee not as a speaker not as a presenter um what is the so what is the ideal length of our presentation uh as you would see as an attendee or 10 to 12 slides 10 to 15 minutes long 20 to 30 slides 20 to 30 minutes and here is generally it's going to be one minute per slide on an average so keeping the concentration is difficult when you have like a power point it's it's every split the first three options uh more than 30 slides obviously is an outlier option uh uh just this is just so that you can keep in mind when you are on the other side of the podium and you are presenting this is something to keep in mind that a doctor audience of about 150 people said that between 10 to 30 minutes uh is a is a decent duration and between 10 to 30 sides the decent length of your neck shouldn't really exceed too much let me start with the presentation then uh how i uh have gotten into making a lot of presentations is uh you know when i went for an mba obviously all the work uh was in powerpoints uh and since then uh most of my work as a management consultant and then here at texas every there's been a lot of ppt making to do which obviously gave me a lot of experience in powerpoint but the caveat or the disclaimer is that i haven't made clinical power points so uh there there will be certain things which you might not relate to or which might not fully apply to a clinical ppt please ignore it uh and carry on with your own judgment uh but uh for the most part i think the takeaways in the uh hacks uh are pretty much the same so uh when i started thinking about what should we cover as the uh key key tips and tricks for becoming better at powerpoint um i thought uh we could cover various things into uh five different segments so the first is structure the second is design the third is uh powerpoint tools certain tools within the powerpoint software uh fourth is some shortcuts which we use a lot and fifth is delivery this is obviously the 20 is an arbitrary number uh powerpoint uh you'll get you get better with time but uh these are the 20 which are sort of uh which we thought are highly impactful uh easy to learn uh and frequently used um so there are a lot of exotic uh shortcuts and exotic tools which obviously we don't need to discuss today because they'll be used once in a while uh this is a general audience so uh you know i don't think that all 20 will be new and interesting to everybody but my hope is that if you take away four or five out of these 20 as uh key learnings it would be worth the while um so with that let's start with the first which is on structure uh i didn't run a question uh as a poll i was planning to but if you would have run a poll which is saying uh as a as an attendee what is most important to you in a presentation is it the speaker's body language is it the content is it the ppt design is it the language or the stone or is it the delivery style i'm i'm pretty sure that most people would have said content is most important so uh why we discuss all of this here uh you know we discuss hacks and tools and shortcuts and productivity uh keep in mind that nothing will actually be sufficient to make a poor content uh come out well so content is very important and before you even open powerpoint to start working on your next presentation uh most uh most experts suggest that you should take a pen and paper uh jot down your thoughts um start classifying it start structuring it uh and only once you have a fairly good idea about how you want to structure the presentation get into actually the powerpoint software um so the uh the first thing on structure is uh to keep slides really simple um uh as few words as possible this is quite contrary to many many uh medical presentations that i have seen in multiple cmes and conferences slides tend to be very heavy um they tend to be very uh verbose and full of text and the argument as a presenter is that this is clinical medicine and you can't afford to leave out important disclaimers so what would have been a simple sentence of saying avoid uh avoid sugar ends up saying avoid sugar if this then that in the case etc power powerpoints or slides are not uh agreements or contracts so feel free to avoid uh important disclaimers etc you can always verbalize them uh the problem with having too much on the screen is that your audience will end up consuming nothing so uh so that's one as few words as possible use more images uh and relevant images obviously uh the idea is that our audience is uh listening and not reading um i'll give an example of uh over formatting on the next slide we we all tend to over format uh every now and then um and so here is an example so on the left hand side is something which is over formatted so as you can see the title is bold as well as underline a good company and good discourse so there's some italic some underlining there are bullet points uh whereas on the right hand side it's it's just very simply formatted um and obviously i mean to me definitely the right hand side uh reads a lot easier than the left hand side so don't over format and one of the tips which is more of a delivery tip is to not read off your slides um the constant feedback that we get on netflix about faculty as well as on netcast about faculty is when faculty tends to read off slides uh audience really doesn't like that so their point is saying you know we can always take a printout of these slides and read them at our own pace please don't read the slides uh tell us something which is not on the side so so that was one second uh one message per slide if you can uh maintain it in a clinical context what this would mean is there is no need to combine uh say contraindications and indications on the same side right just keep them separate uh this is a situation where number of slides is not a problem um so if you could have done with 12 slides uh very dense but instead your slide count becomes 24 but they are much much leaner i think your audience will follow you a lot better if you just have and here what you see is i think steve jobs on the right hand side very famous for uh making very simple and very impactful presentations uh this is very uh uh interesting i think uh a lot of you will find this uh something novel uh try and connect one slide with the next uh make the story flow uh so when you end one slide so there are uh two ways to do this one is that your content is logically flowing uh another way to do it is when you write the title of a slide leave three dots at the end of the title and don't finish the sentence so you could say something like over the last year the world has been enveloped by kobit 19 dot dot dot and then there is a slide which talks about how kobit came in and then the next slide says dot dot dot uh uh something which we never expected or uh uh once in a century pandemic and then so just keep the slides connected uh that way your audience will uh think and will follow the story uh and so the important thing to remember is that you're not presenting 30 slides you're presenting one story and therefore the slides need to flow into each other uh here there's another point which we'll again touch upon in the delivery part the most difficult part of remembering a presentation and so let's say you prepared a presentation and you are going to be presenting tomorrow at a conference uh you've gone through the slides multiple times and even on the flight you're going through the slides and finally when you get up there and start presenting it goes all right but the glitch that you're likely to face is in between slides so like between this slide and the next slide you are short of connecting words and what ends up happening is when this slide ends i'll say and coming to and coming to and coming to indications and coming to side effects and coming to complications and coming to differential diagnosis you will find yourself using the same connecting word between slides which takes the sheen away from the quality of your presentation or the quality of your talk so this is uh the how you want to move transition from one slide to the next is something that needs to be thought about when you're making the slides at the last time and remember it that and for that it will be important that you remember what's coming next so that you can set context for what's coming next while this slide is being presented there is a uh there is a part there is a powerpoint tool which is very infrequently used generally at the bottom uh you all of us would be familiar with the slideshow icon at the bottom because we use it to start the slideshow next to the slideshow there are two three other icons one of the icons which has four squares is called the slide sorter and most storytellers most people who are really good at presentations spend a lot of time on the slide sorter view because slide sorter view this the view which you're seeing on the screen right now is the story is the structure so uh while all of us end up spending a lot of time on individual slides and making individual slides beautiful and impactful we don't spend enough time on the slide sorter where we say is the story flowing so this is the slide this is the view where you actually see the structure or the flow of your presentation so make sure that once you're done with all the individual slides you do have about half an hour 45 minutes to spend on the slide sorter view because this is where you will be able to see certain obvious uh uh disruptions in flow key you know this doesn't make sense this should come first and a lot of times it will be very interesting so something you put right at the end you will just get a brain wave that why can't i start my whole presentation with this uh and you will just bring it right at the front and then suddenly you know the presentation makes uh a lot more fun now coming to the design uh part so so that was on structure again uh i'm trying to keep this a little fast and not go into too much detail structure itself is fairly detailed and now there's a lot we can talk about it but i wanted to cover a little bit in all the five sections so moving on to design use very simple templates uh or just plain white slides or plain black sides most of the powerpoint templates which come in built are uh pretty unusable and also too common so uh my my suggestion is uh either use something as simple as on the right hand side it's it's very very simple the audience is not distracted by the background whether it's a curtain or whatever and um so mckinsey is one of the world's best known consulting firms and till as late as a few years back uh mckinsey had a rule that uh their slides would be black and white uh there would be no color in their bars and in their bar charts and in their pie charts because they just don't want that distraction uh so you know uh keep keep them really simple uh use sensory fonts uh if uh if some of you here attended our previous session in tech talks on social media designing uh we talked about sans serif fonts so sans is without and serif is that little hat which a font wears so on the left hand side you see the serif fonts times new roman garamond all of these are serif points and on the right hand side you have sans serif which is your aerial your corbil and all of them are calibri so those are standard uh sensory points the conventional wisdom is that sans serif is very good for digital mediums so your your books your newspapers would all carry your serif fonts so if you see your times of india if you see a published novel they would generally have a serif font but if you see this presentation uh where i have written use sans serif fonts that's a sensory font itself sans serif is more pleasing to the eye so uh try and use sensory fonts and try and find a couplet which works for you so by a couplet what i mean is one font for your titles and one point for your body it could be the same font they are just differentiated in size or they could be two fonts which go well with each other but don't have more than two fonts in any given presentation you can't have more than two points ideally just one font but at max two points this is also something interesting you can try out so if you represent a hospital or a clinic and if your clinic has a logo then try to use your brand colors in your pbd now whether you use it in the background as a top bar as a line somewhere or as a font color uh is your choice but so the for the font colors the standard practice is to use black as the font color but you always need one or two highlight colors so let's say my entire slide is full of black content uh yeah sorry so uh if if all the content on the slide is a black font then you might want to highlight a particular word which you want to use a different color for so for that you can use uh either of these green or blue in case i center is my logo then you can use one of those so if your logo is red and yellow so in that way you will be able to build some loyalty into your brand with the audience and that's uh one way to will connect with your continuing presentation so if and you could also save these colors as a pellet in your powerpoint so every time you start making a presentation you can use this palette uh we talked about using images uh and less of text in the presentation and for this there are a couple of sources you can note down pixabay is a great source for images flat icon is a great source for icons and these are practically free most of the content on these platforms is free and copyright free you can really use them and they have millions of images shutterstock is obviously one of the more common ones but shutterstock doesn't have a as good a collection of free images as pixabay has you could also use google search uh in google search you get a setting so i'll just show you in the next slide how that setting works yeah so this is flat icon you can go to the flat icon site and search for icons and this is pixabay so this is a google search setting so if you go to google search and search for any images you will see settings and then you will be able to choose a setting which says available for reuse available for commercial use with modification if you choose this setting whatever images you get you will be able to use them uh free of copyright without attribution so some of them might require attribution but you're essentially not plagiarizing anybody's private image so uh please do use images and one of the interesting things which i would like to recommend is feel free to use edge-to-edge images a lot of us don't don't use edge-to-edge images but in that steve jobs image which you saw previously you would have seen a full edge to image that is fairly okay it's not considered loud or inappropriate coming to the next point on design i think it's the last point in the design section focus on alignment uh too often we don't align the text boxes and the images and the tables perfectly so the way to select multiple elements on your slide is to just drag your mouse and drag your mouse such that you are your the square which is created when you drag the mouse covers the elements that you want to align so let's say there are two columns you're doing a comparison of malaria and dengue so there are two tables in front of you and you just want to align them so just drag your mouse such that uh you're covering both the tables and then go as shown here go to the alignment part and you can align them vertically you can align them horizontally you don't have to manually align them so this is an inbuilt tool which is already available so if you can just follow simple rules around alignment so the simple rule is that if there are two elements they have to be vertically and horizontally aligned if and the space above and below the elements and the space to the left and right of the element should be more or less simple uh equal that will make sure that the slide which you produce as a result is pleasing so in this case in this particular slide for example if you see uh focus the f word the dot of the bullet and then the image they are all left aligned and and that just makes the slide look professionally made you can uh one of the things we commonly use is animations and on animations one of the so my my suggestion is to use only one animation which is simple fade in the animation box you you get 30 different types of animations fading in fading out jumping in dancing in all of them uh just use one animation which is called fade and the younger brother of fade is called appear so either use the appear animation or the fade animation and if you use the fade animation make sure the timing for the fade is not too long so it doesn't slowly fade it should fade pretty much instantly the the reason is that when you use funky animations it's again distracting just like color is distracting or irrelevant images are distracting or over formatting is distracting too much animations are distracting so uh just select the element you want to animate animation is good actually so if you use up here and fade properly it's pretty useful because your slide has multiple contents it might have multiple bullet points it might have multiple images you might want to restrict an image from displaying because you're asking a question and you are waiting for the audience to answer so use animations by all means but don't use funky animations so uh here is where you go so i have selected this element you go to animation animation pane you go to select fade and on the next slide you will see uh you'll be able to set the timer there so the timer here says 0.5 seconds uh you could reduce it to 0.2 or you would increase it to 1 but 0.5 is ideal so what this means is that your fading effect will be complete in half a second an interesting technique uh to make your text stand out is to use overlays transparent overlays on images so let's say for example we are talking about covet for example there's a there's a slide that you're making on uh social distancing and uh on the slide you're talking about how you need to maintain uh six feet distance from two people what you can do is uh find on google and image where people are standing at a six speed distance from each other uh and you'll find hundreds of such images so take that image blow it edge to edge on your entire slide then on it you can paste a rectangle so if you go to shapes you will be able to create a rectangle shape so stretch a whole rectangle shape such that it covers the entire image give it a black color and then go to transparency and set it transparency to 30 40 what will happen is that the image which you had of people standing at a distance from each other is now very subdued i can see that there are people standing at a distance from each other but i can't it's not distracting me now on top of this if you write something that text will be clearly visible normally on a full bodied image you can't write text because the text will conflict with the image colors and the image contrast so what so the what the transparent overlay does is it either fades out the image into white or it fades out the image into black so you have the advantage of having the image as well as displaying the text otherwise you could either have had the image only or you could have added the text only so you try and give it a shot if this explanation was not sufficient i think you can just google transparent overlays in powerpoint or something like that i'm sure you'll find a small video clips yeah what is uh generally not recommended anymore is transitions between slides we we think they are fun and maybe for a very small casual audience they are fun but definitely in a more formal setup where you are addressing a cmu or a conference transitions are no longer considered cool sounds which come when a certain thing comes up on the slide and clipart funny gifs namaste signs all of these things actually take away the credibility or the seriousness of the presentation again uh this is one area where you have to know your audience if you think your audience will like this that's fine uh ultimately we need to create stuff which your audience wants so if you're pretty sure that audience will appreciate it by all means we can do it but generally as a general rule it's on the safer side you can just avoid them now coming to powerpoint tools and there are certain tools in powerpoint beyond the uh general tools which we uh which you would all be already using like inserting shapes inserting tables inserting charts but there are certain tools so the powerpoint is a very powerful software you can actually use powerpoint as a proper image editor and uh you can use the following i mean you can do the following three activities in powerpoint fairly comfortably so the first thing you can do is general tweaking of an image so let's say you have a thunderscan image which you've entered inside your slide uh when you click on the image and when you right click it you will see a format picture uh option so you click on format picture and the whole format picture bar will come out from the right hand side of your window here you will see multiple options to change contrast uh to change brightness saturation to give a frame to offset all of that so feel free to tweak around with it play as much with it as till you get the perfect result for that image in your this is especially true if the image has been taken from the from the web because then the the colors and everything might not be great the second uh great ability within powerpoint is to crop the image and this is something which we don't use frequently enough so take the image and make sure you crop it to only the relevant part of that image a lot of times your image has a lot of extra information which is not necessary which is again distracting the audience so just crop it down to the point that you want to focus on and in cropping there is an extra feature in powerpoint which allows you to crop by shape so let's say you have a square image of underscan but you think that a fundus scan looks best if it's circular so you can actually use circular crop i'm sorry i can't really demo it to you but just just go to crop and then select your select your image go to crop then crop as shape option will be there when you click on crop shape it will you will be able to choose a circle option so you can crop circle you can crop triangle whatever makes sense but circle is the most commonly uh used cropping shape the third powerful uh tool that you have so this is image editing this is remove background a third very powerful tool which powerpoint has which actually very advanced image editors also don't have is the ability to remove background a lot of times you will see images which have a white background so for example if you see this logo here the eye center there's a whole white background now if i post this logo on the blue background then it's not really impactful because the white background is chatting but you go to uh the format picture and then remove background option in the remove background option it it gives you an option called select areas to remove so click on that select areas to remove then take your mouse to all the parts which you want to remove so in in this logo for example white is the part which i wanted to remove so i take my mouse to the white part and click on the white part what powerpoint will do is convert everything to pink that needs to be deleted so in this image uh whatever is pink will be deleted by powerpoint and what you will see as a result uh is is on the left hand side if you can see the in the smaller version the white has been removed so now the logo is sitting as itself this is very useful with certain images that you want to remove white background another powerpoint tool which is a pretty i would say which which improves your productivity significantly is called the slide master uh in the at the top you will see multiple sections called file insert review etc so there is one section called view so go to view inside view you will see a button called slide master what slide master uh allows you to do is change your whole presentation at the same time so you don't so for example let's say that you made your presentation it's 35 slides now you just realize that you want to add small footer at the bottom which is saying presented at ap icon on february 13th by dr rohan desai so you just go to slide master and in slide master you add this sentence at the bottom and this will be pasted across all your slides automatically in the exact same position in the exact same font and color so this is very useful if you want to insert page numbers if you want to insert a logo so if you want to insert that your hospital logo at the top right you don't have to manually put it on every slide of the presentation just go to slide master and put that logo exactly where you want to put it in the top right and it will get displayed on every slide of your presentation yeah so this is an example of how it works the slide master is also useful if you want to change fonts across the presentation so you don't have to manually change font in every slide so let's say you want to change the title uh from calibri 16 to calibre 20 for all 35 slides just go to slide master and choose the title font and just make it 20 and it will change it for your entire presentation hyperlinking slides so a lot of times when you are preparing your presentation you will come across with a lot of data which you are not sure whether you want to include it in your slide or not included what if somebody asked the question so you've done some research and you have a lot of data or some tables etc but you just you're just giving executive summary of that presentation uh one option in that case is to have a really long appendix so you can have everything in appendix and so your basic presentation is just 20 slides uh and therefore it's not too long it flows well it's fast but there's a lot of content in the appendix that you'll have so appendix one appendix now for example let's say you have a slide which talks about your team the team which did this research and that team has four people's photographs and four people's names now what you can do is make detailed slides for each of these four people of your team uh which sort of their curriculum by vitae or something so detailed information about their profile and put them in the appendix now on this slide where you have these four people's names just select the name say in this case rohit gupta so you select rohit gupta right click on right click on it add hyperlink now when you add hyperlink powerpoint will give you two options it will allow you to add a hyperlink to something on the net on the internet so you can add a url or it will say choose a destination in this presentation so you choose a destination in this presentation and it will allow you to choose some different slide so in this case if your detailed slide for this person is say slide number 37 so in this case you choose slide number 37 so whenever you click on that link you will be directly taken to site number 37 once you are on that slide so see here this is an example of you can pinch this uh to to see how this works but so if you zoom this you will be able to see select a place in this document so this is how i can connect it to the next slide and once on that slide in the appendix what you can do is you can insert a small object like this which is a back arrow so on the rohit gupta slide which is in your appendix now you go to that slide and you put this small object at the bottom right now you hyperlink this object back to your original slide so when you click on this you will come back to your original slide so this is a great way to you don't have to exit your presentation uh and then go to slide 37 and then exit and come back to slide 17. so uh if if all your people are on site 17 you can just jump between 17 to 37 and 37 to 17 by just on screen clicks you don't have to so this sort of makes your presentation very dynamic cbs pdf is something which most of us would be familiar with i would just like to i mean you would know how to do it you just go to the service save as option and choose pdf in the drop down after you add your document name there is a section which where you have to choose the type of document and by default you will see ppt over there but you will be able to change it to pdf just two major advantages why and where you should use save as pdf one if you don't want your ppt to be reused entirely i mean uh to be to be re-modified so uh when you save it as pdf it becomes pretty much untemperable obviously somebody with a very high quality pdf editor can temper it but for the most part it becomes temper proof and secondly it's universally compatible with powerpoint the issue is that if you made it on powerpoint 2003 2007 2010 and so on uh the display might not be exactly accurate every time so if you're going to a conference if you're not really sure then save it as pdf pdfs never break the only disadvantage with pdf is they don't have animations and they don't have they will have hyperlinks so you can hyperlink to an external source but they don't have in document videos or in document animation so if you don't have animations and if you don't have videos try to use a pdf most of the time coming to uh some shortcuts which uh which would generally make your work a lot faster it is said that when you use the mouse it is more inefficient so using a mouse to do something is very inefficient compared to using the keyboard the problem with using a keyboard is that you need to remember all these shortcuts so i have just focused on some basic shortcuts and many of them you would already be aware of but in case you're not aware then these are great and most of these will work across software so this will work in gmail this will work in word this will work in excel this will work in pretty much any software you use so control b i u is for bold italic underline if you have selected a word if you do control b it will make it bold if you do control b again it will remove bold similarly b is for bold eyes for italic queue is for underline so if you want to make a text or a paragraph italics then just select the paragraph and then just do a ctrl i it's much faster than taking your mouse to that eye part and then clicking on it xcv is cut copy paste i think this is something which most of us are already aware of elr is to justify text so if you have text in a box if you want to align it left aligned then you do control l and left align is the default most of the time but if you want to align it center then you do control e because c has been taken for copy so you will have to do ctrl e and ctrl r will write align it which is generally not useful um control n will open a new powerpoint window or a new word window or a new browser window control o will do a control we will open the open prompt and control s it's a good habit to develop uh that when you're working on a presentation every 30 minutes or even more frequently every five minutes keep doing control s that will keep saving your presentation there's also a function inside powerpoint which you can turn on which says that auto save uh and this will save you a lot of heartburn in that rare scenario where you've been working on a presentation for three hours and suddenly your computer crashes and you lose the entire presentation so if you have autosave you'll be able to recover the entire presentation but even if you have auto save uh our tendency is to keep doing control s very frequently uh almost you know every every five minutes to a controller so that the presentation gets saved uh home and end are the keys on your keyboard which will help you jump to the first slide of the ppt or the last slide if you have to fi is a key you can use any from anywhere in your presentation to get into slideshow mode so if you don't want to use that small button at the bottom you can use f5 it will jump right to slideshow mode and f7 is the you can use to get into find so if you want to find a particular word or the number of occurrences of that word in your presentation just hit f7 one which which is not here is control h control h is find and replace a lot of times you might realize that um all this time you have been spelling a word wrong um say some some word and you just realize the right spelling just do a control h uh it will change all the instances of that word in the same go uh it could be a faculty's name for example and you've got it wrong right so uh and you don't remember where you have used that name so to make sure that uh you change every single instance of that word just do control h the the next uh set of shortcuts uh are not basic they are just slightly beyond basic um control a is select all again control a is a a cross platform uh shortcut which which works across all the softwares that are available so in powerpoint uh when you are on a slide and you do control a all the elements on that slide so let's say you have two images one table one title one body text everything gets selected when you do control it sometimes you just want to move them left move them right sometimes you want to copy paste them clone them etcetera but control a is useful control m will create a new slide uh so when you're done with this slide just do control m and a new slide will automatically get created and you get taken to the new slide this is again so if you have a 30 slide presentation control m is something you will be using 30 times right when you make that presentation uh every time that you use control n instead of using your mouse going to that new new slide drop down and choosing new slide you're probably saving a couple of seconds so control m is that control z i most of us know is undo uh generally most software's memory is about 30 to 40 steps so you can undo up to your 30 to 40 last steps by doing control z repeatedly so let's say you made a mistake and you want to go back you can go back up to 40 steps and control y is redo so if you have gone back 30 steps and if you want to come come forward 30 steps you can do control y uh so undo and redo the next one uh is really you know uh three bonus uh shortcuts uh but nonetheless fairly useful so uh when you are in slideshow mode so whenever you are in slideshow mode if you click control p your mouse will become a annotator and then you can actually scribble on the screen so you don't have to click right right click then say choose annotating and then choose something you just do control p and just start scribbling on the screen you want to highlight something underline something so control p will convert your mouse into a pen provided you are in slideshow mode b and w are very interesting so when your presentation is on when your slideshow is on if you just click on the alphabet b it will turn your screen black and if you click on w it will turn your screen might this is very useful when say you you have a upcoming slide but you don't want to disclose that slide uh you want to have a discussion so this slide work is over and i don't want to show the next slide and i have a two minute three minute discussion so then i can just click on b so that the slide almost turns off and then i can have a discussion and then i click b again and the presentation will come back uh so b and w are very useful in various scenarios you sometimes you don't want the distraction of something behind you um so you can use them uh finally coming to delivery last two points are on delivery uh i think it's very important to script your entire uh presentation uh the the most important uh feedback which most presenters get uh is to slow down and pause uh pause a lot take a lot of pauses we by default we are generally very fast is that p only or control control v is for bold when you are in slideshow mode you just click on b uh you don't need control uh just just hit b yeah so uh the most important the most common feedback which most presenters get is to slow the uh slow the pitch if you think you're going too slow you're not going too slow the audience will always say you're going fine by default all of us end up being too fast so slow down plug in questions and polls you'll have to think in advance that this is the point where i am going to share this joke this is the point where i'm going to ask this question a lot of season presenters have everything scripted uh including when they clear their throat including when they smirk or laugh everything is scripted um and there's nothing wrong about it and like i was saying earlier focus on slide transitions during practice you really need to know what's coming next that will help you move smoothly into the next slide finally there is a button at the top which which is rehearsed timings this is very important when your presentation that you give is going to be timed if your organizer has told you that so please stick to 10 minutes please stick to 12 minutes uh you i mean obviously we can use your mobile stopwatch for timing yourself but uh ppt is also a great uh rehab timing function inside powerpoint is also a great way to time it so just click on rehab timing it will go into powerpoint it will go into slideshow mode start presenting start changing sides and the advantage of this rehab timing mode is that when you're done with your entire presentation uh let's say you were given 12 minutes but you ended up with 19 minutes uh when you will then go into slideshow mode you will be able to see how much time you spent on every slide uh and you'll be able to find out if you were generally slow which means every slide instead of one minute was one and a half minute or if one particular slide actually took away seven minutes of your time so uh so this is a great uh way to make sure you always stick to time i don't know how we are doing today uh it's about 50 minutes i think uh we have 10 minutes for q a cool so yeah if anybody is uh that was a really awesome uh presentation uh so there were a few questions that came there was a question if you had to insert um video files into the slides uh how do you go about that um i think so in the in the top bar where next to home you will see an insert tab uh in the insert tab you will see media or something and there you will be able to insert either a picture or a video or an audio file yeah it just works like inserting a picture it's not different okay um another question so a lot of times when you're presenting our research work uh there a lot of tables and charts that come along is there any hack that we could actually make satellites interesting oh i think uh with tables and charts the the only way to make them interesting is to focus on what insight you're trying to get out of it so your audience will be wowed only if the insight coming out of that table is uh mind blowing so i don't think colors could make that charter table better or i i also don't think that using complicated charts like you know there are a lot of charts area charts network charts etc they don't really help simple bar chart simple pie chart simple tables are great but what's important is that the insight is really mind-blowing so basically keep it as simple as possible to connect with your audience yeah yeah focus on the underlying message uh because the audience is not here for the uh for your designing skills or they are here for the underlying content uh there's also a question if you have to insert like if you could change background for all slides at once how do you go about that yeah there is a oh i think there is a section see the problem with powerpoint is every version will have different nomenclature uh but uh just i think there is a uh you'll find a setting called background or themes um or design i think it's design in most versions so go to design then there is a section at the far right which which talks about slide background or something like that from there if you change something it will apply to all the all the slides in your presentation all right i think those are the questions yeah i think one of the questions is that many a times videos don't play on the organizers system yeah this is this is very common i think the one safe way to ensure that doesn't happen is whenever you are you're making a presentation let's say on the desktop you have a folder called a ios presentation in that folder your presentation is there make sure your video file is also in the same folder and after that you link the file inside your ppt uh after you have linked the file don't change the file so coming again uh one of the mistakes we make so let's say i'm making a presentation uh the presentation is in a folder called aios on my desktop now i attach an image uh and that i now attach a video now the video is in a folder in my temporary files let's say for example now when i give this tpt on a pen drive the video is not going with the ppt that's the problem so what you should do is first bring all the assets in the same folder so if you have three videos two images images generally is not a problem because powerpoint creates its own image cache but uh whatever videos you have bring them in the same folder that your powerpoint is and then you click then you connect the video inside the powerpoint uh this this order is important uh if if you will connect it first and then bring it in the folder it's not going to work uh but but this should mostly take care of i think 99 of the situations where the video doesn't play i said how to change the font and the size of the content throughout all the slides is there any hack we can change at a time yeah you can you can try slide master so uh try going to the slide master from the view tab and in that you select the body table body body box the body section and then you increase the font of that body section it should increase see if you have inserted if you have used powerpoints inherent boxes this will work if you are in the habit of adding text boxes to every slide there is no way that you can change all text boxes are you following me so say for example you open a new presentation um every presentation by default when you do a new slide then it will have a title title space and a body space if you use that title in body space slide master will help you increase decrease change bond but if on every slide you add your own text box which most of us are in the habit of doing then slide master will not work control shortcut used for both the bold point option as well as blackening the screen no uh for blackening the screen you just use b when you are in slideshow mode okay not control b i know i don't need to use the control control yeah it's just b okay hello yeah so like you mentioned about the animations right so if a slide particularly has multiple pictures yeah okay so if uh like um and if i overlap it is that a wrong notion to follow because like just say like i want multiple photographs to be uh you know like by the click off or by the enter i want to show different pictures at a different time frequency so if can i uh overlap the images is that a wrong notion i just want to clarify um no so the uh the challenge see the problem you will face is uh if you perfectly overlap them uh from a visibility perspective it's fine because i'm seeing one image then i'm seeing another image then seeing third image fourth image and it's not a problem as a viewer but as a as a powerpoint creator it will be very difficult for you to work with overlapped images because if you want to move the image which is most underneath you will have to remove everything from the top of it and then get to that underneath image so it it just becomes a little cumbersome uh that's the thing otherwise there's nothing wrong okay and another question like there is an access to footnotes right yeah when you're presenting the presenter has access to footnotes but uh just like uh why i'm asking this question is if i'm giving a solo presentation it makes sense but if there are group presentation and in current times it's an online presentation most of the time so do i have that option to go through my footnotes or because mostly it's a screen share option like i am in my pg so that's the reason i'm asking and if sometimes if we have a group project sometimes you know people are working on different topics so it becomes a little difficult to relate immediately because on a short notice so is there any other way to access the footnotes while presenting online for every slide there is some content there is a scribble right yes yes the hidden content probably like your you know like flash flash cards or something you can use it that way your personal view your personal yes correct no i think uh see the only ways to have separate presentations um if you have a combined presentation then uh everybody will see the same content also when you are uh when you are sharing when you are screen sharing uh make sure you are not sharing the whole screen make sure you're just sharing the slideshow part if you're sharing the slideshow part then those personal notes i don't think will get displayed on the screen but if you're sharing your full screen then everything gets displayed so maybe you could try that i guess so i think the this question how to use mouse as a scribbling tool in slideshow so you just when you are in slideshow you just click ctrl p and your mouse will become a scribbling tool after that whenever you click and drag your mouse it will work i mean just your mouse will not scribble you'll have to click and drag the mouse to scribble and how most of the presenter do not have presenter view option in this present there's one question how to insert voice and make voice recorded powerpoint presentations yeah so in the rehab timing section uh you also have the option to add narration uh you can you can use that option to add narration and you could actually narrate the entire presentation or and if you want to hear it back you can hear it i guess one last uh can i change the cursor to a pointer during a slideshow slideshow presentation uh yeah you can so uh you just need to right click and uh when you right click when you're in slideshow right click and you will see an option called pointer options and you can convert it to a red laser pointer or there are a couple of options that you can convert it i would like to thank the presenter once again thank you so much dr rohan thank you an amazing presentation was really useful and i think he'll all save a lot of time and hopefully keep our audiences engaged with all the facts to our presentation uh a quick reminder to all our audience uh so today's presentation as well as all the other previous presentations are available on uh netflix uh in the replay section today's will come in a few days will be uploaded to the replay section but feel free to go back to the replay section and view the previous previous sessions that we had and do visit the app uh to see coming up interesting uh sessions that we'll be hosting in the coming weeks thank you awesome have a good night see you again good night everyone bye

Description

Every time there is a case discussion or you have to present at a conference, it's a struggle between focusing on content and the way we present. We end up focusing on content as designing and presentation is easier said than done? It should never be the same anymore. Let's get insight into 20 most powerful hacks to make your presentations look the most impressive ones.

Speakers

About Medflix

Medflix is a new platform by PlexusMD, India's most active and trusted doctor community. On Medflix, you can discover live surgeries, discussions, conferences and courses from some of the top doctors and institutions across the world. Join clubs in your areas of interest and access hundreds of amazing live discussions everyday.

Contact us

support@medflix.app

+91 9023-729662

Medflix Logo

© 2022 Plexus Professionals Network Pvt Ltd

InstagramFacebookTwitter